Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
I'd say that the rudder doubles as a sculling oar. This is the helmsman

Last edited by CapnHand; 11-06-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
to rip a tree by hand, you dig a pit, put the tree over the pit, one team gets in the pit, the other gets above the log - using a rip saw you literally saw the length of the tree - things like guides etc are all 'optional'.
My grandfather was a cooper (barrel maker) I spent summers from 6 to 16 (he passed the next winter) working with him, learning his craft. I didn't own a power tool until over 40 and built my first wooden boat three years ago. I'll own up to using an electric sander, but that's the only modern tool that touched my 11 foot sailing dinghy. Everything else I used were tools from my grandfathers shop.
Thanks for the explanation. I have never ripped a tree like that myself, but I am always interested in how things are done.

I love simple tools. It amazes me how many things people use expensive "modern" tools for. So much of what people use these various special saws and things for could easily be done in a lot less time with a sharp chisel.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
those planks looked bandsawed to me. straight saw lines arcross the grain.. Love that rudder!! I am the only one wondering about the weather helm? Gui what kind of wood is that?
I don't really know, but they mentioned carvalho, which I believe its oak. But not sure.

Its actually quite sad when you read about it...made me sad...

This was photos taken in 1991, when a crew filmed in July and August (2 months to build the boat), they then never had the money to finish the movie and edit it into a documentary.

Theses were the LAST BUILDERS of such boats in the traditional way. Their pay was food and shelter, while they made the boat.!!

Wood was free and the boat was built in the land of the owner, on the margin of the river.

They used bulls as cranes for everything except the launch, whose tradition required the man to pull her into the water, as a sign of respect.

Since then, the men have died, and with them the art of building a rabelo boat. The images...well they are there..somewhere...unfortunately never to be seen again....
Old 10-28-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
So much of what people use these various special saws and things for could easily be done in a lot less time with a sharp chisel.
Not true, cutting my finger off is easier with power tools, a sharp chisel will just cut to the bone generally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2007

kananumpua is on a distinguished road
GUI,

In the article, does it say what they were melting in the kettle to seal the boat up?

Thanks for the link!
Old 10-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kananumpua View Post
GUI,

In the article, does it say what they were melting in the kettle to seal the boat up?

Thanks for the link!
IT's GIU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it does...they seal with what would be translated to English as I don't know the name as "blonde tar", mixed with Sheep grease to penetrate better.
Old 10-28-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
IT's GIU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we found his weak spot!!!!!
Old 11-06-2007

OK I found a few really nice photos of these boats that still sail today, I swear its true, they still sail the wine down the river...its said the gentle rocking is better than the truck transport, and the wine enriches..

have fun....

and how it was 120 years ago...

Old 11-07-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
I agree with your sadness at these things being lost. But I have hope here in the states because of the strong growth of wooden boatbuilding programs. In addition to the Yacht restoration in RI, there are a number of boatbuilding schools in Maine and Washington (and some in the Great Lakes are, I think) and I just read last evening about Bluenose IV in the works by our neighbors up north.

I hope it's not too late for your country to hold onto those skills which have been such an important part of it's history.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 11-07-2007

Sad thing is...they are forever lost...those guys you see building them were the last ones of the builders.

No one now builds a boat for food and wine anymore...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That art is lost, and no one has interest in doing it again. The boats were work horses, there are still many around as I showed in the post above, and are used as "live" advertisment for the vineyards, as they dock them in the river front.

The building now, is gone, as the price to build one now is not going to be cheap, and they will truck the wine...sad but true

Those photos are what is left...sad for me and mankind..