SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   You can't build a boat until you can do this... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/38008-you-cant-build-boat-until-you-can-do.html)

Giulietta 10-27-2007 09:10 AM

You can't build a boat until you can do this...

I am sorry the blog is in Portuguese, but the images are multi-language.

These boats, the Rabelo sailboat, were and are the traditional boats of Porto, North of Portugal, and they were used to sail up and down the river to carry the PORT WINE skegs from the producers in the Douro river all the way to the city of Porto or Oporto in English.

Look at the images....amazing...really...no gimmics, no hardcore tools, no glass no st60 nothing...man and ingenuity

Have fun. See it here

Ahhhhhhhhhh Portugal do meu coração, e das gentes valentes e fortes......

Wannafish 10-27-2007 09:26 AM

That is truly awesome! Thanks for the link.
Guess I don't have anything to whine about while refitting my boat...

sailaway21 10-27-2007 09:39 AM

Great link, Giu. And I'll bet the boat was delivered to her owner in half the time that it took to construct Giulietta! (g)

TrueBlue 10-27-2007 09:39 AM

That takes some incredible woodworking skills - no power tools, just old world shipbuilding techniques and brute strength. Thanks for sharing that link Giu.

Fortunately, many groups in this country remain sensitive to the nearly lost techniques of building and restoring wooden boats. One in Newport, RI is The International Yacht Restoration School, where students learn the craft of restoring classic wooden boats.

IRYS

xort 10-27-2007 02:26 PM

Was that a beneteau? :D

Giulietta 10-27-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xort (Post 213066)
Was that a beneteau? :D

Xort, these guys have been building these boats long before Messieur Beneteau was jumping from his dad's left testicle to the right....:D :D

This is guaranteed a 100% wood boat, whose design is at least 500 years old...

wind_magic 10-27-2007 04:32 PM

Great link. Does the text say how they ripped the trees into lumber ? The first picture shows the tree coming down, the second shows lumber, and a later image towards the bottom shows a felled tree that has been halfway ripped, but I don't see any tools there for it. Thanks! :)

Again, great link!

chucklesR 10-27-2007 05:20 PM

to rip a tree by hand, you dig a pit, put the tree over the pit, one team gets in the pit, the other gets above the log - using a rip saw you literally saw the length of the tree - things like guides etc are all 'optional'.
My grandfather was a cooper (barrel maker) I spent summers from 6 to 16 (he passed the next winter) working with him, learning his craft. I didn't own a power tool until over 40 and built my first wooden boat three years ago. I'll own up to using an electric sander, but that's the only modern tool that touched my 11 foot sailing dinghy. Everything else I used were tools from my grandfathers shop.

chucklesR 10-27-2007 05:21 PM

Sometimes you split the tree with wedges to get your first planks out, depends on the size of the tree and how many people are working it.

deniseO30 10-27-2007 05:44 PM

those planks looked bandsawed to me. straight saw lines arcross the grain.. Love that rudder!! I am the only one wondering about the weather helm? Gui what kind of wood is that?