Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Aft Berth

What factory boats have centerline beds in the aft berth?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Too many to list here.
Old 11-01-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Really? I haven't seen that many. Most seem to have an athwart berth or one that runs parrallel to the hull. Guess I just haven't looked hard enough.
Old 11-01-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The mid-to-late '80s larger hunters (375, 40) have such berths, and there are several, as TB says, newer models that do but most will be near 40 feet or more.
Old 11-01-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
It really depends on the size range you are looking at. You won't normally see centerline aft berths on small-to-midsize boats. They are more common on larger designs, say 40+ feet and upward, especially the centercockpit boats whose layout permits larger aft cabins. Many boats in this size range give owners the option of having the bunk oriented along the centerline or athwartship.
Old 11-01-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Aft cabin centreline beds in an aft cockpit boat are for me a disaster on a sub 40'er. That is on every boat I've seen. Look great on the plans but the reality is that you are lying in bed with the cockpit floor right over the top of you. In a lot of them you can barely roll over let alone try and get down and dirty. As for sitting up in bed to read, forget it.

Based purely on my observations, maybe there are exceptions to the rule.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-01-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In a lot of them you can barely roll over let alone try and get down and dirty.
...and when you are sailing it is almost impossible not to slide out of them without some elaborate and time-consuming lee-cloth setup...
Old 11-01-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
...and when you are sailing it is almost impossible not to slide out of them without some elaborate and time-consuming lee-cloth setup...

Although I appreciate the idea of (specifically centre cockpit) aft cabins in reality I keep coming back to aft cockpit, main cabin forward. For me it's a fine place to sleep at anchor providing the v-berth is wide enough forward to sleep with feet aft and while useless at sea the forward cabin then becomes sail locker and general stowage space.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-02-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have a stupid port side double berth I am tearing out in the aft cabin in order to go athwartships aft. Yes, I will have the "deck helm" cockpit descending toward my midsection, but it's just a matter of throwing the pillows to the high side and I won't need lee cloths. If the boat is pitching fore and aft that much, I wouldn't be in the aft cabin sleeping anyway...I'd be snug in a coffin-like sea berth of which I have four.

This will free up about a metre of space between the bed and the bulkhead which I hope to use for "office space" and as a dry, dark place to keep HF radios and computer equipment.

The centerline bed sounds nice, but it's got to be the most impractical set-up (unless you are at dock) and the floor space on either side is essentially wasted.
Old 11-02-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Although I appreciate the idea of (specifically centre cockpit) aft cabins in reality I keep coming back to aft cockpit, main cabin forward. For me it's a fine place to sleep at anchor providing the v-berth is wide enough forward to sleep with feet aft and while useless at sea the forward cabin then becomes sail locker and general stowage space.
TDW: I can see your point. And Valiente's too.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind at all having a boat with a proper centerline aft berth. It's a lot easier to do on a centercockpit boat, but it can also be done well on a larger aft cockpit boat (my preference). I know it wouldn't be a great bunk while at sea, so there'd have to be alternative sea berths. But at anchor -- where we spend most of our time --it could be a comfortable cabin away from the rest of the crew (i.e., the kids).

We like to stay up in the cockpit well past the kids' bed-time, enjoying the stars and lights of the night. It's the time of day when parents finally get to chat with relatively privacey. If the parents' cabin is forward in the v-berth, that means the kids' bunks are under the cockpit -- not good for parental privacey, especially on a ot night with portlights and hatches open. So, in our dream boat we want our kids' cabins forward, and ours aft -- right on the centerline with adequate headroom.

Funny how our "ideals" can lead us to opposite ends of the boat.