Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007
Ready to Sail Away

Lesmusic1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lesmusic1
Swing Keal..good or bad

We have found "the right boat"..a 42ft Maple Leaf but concerned about the swing keal. Any info anyone could share? Also, anyone have a Maple Leaf?
Old 11-02-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I can't comment from experience about swing keels on large boats, but I do have a swing keel on my 25' boat. For me, the swing keel allows me to have a very shallow draft (18") with the keel up, which is perfect for gunkholing, exploring backwaters, and getting to the beach and shallow anchorages.

The downside is that there are two additional holes in the hull: 1 for the keel cable and another for the keel's pivot bolt. I am not sure if other boats are set up the same way. For my particular boat, I'm told the cable assembly and keel pivot bolt are both well designed and hold up for many years. However, a regular visual inspection of both is necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lesmusic-

There are a few Maple Leaf owners on the board... so I'll let them respond re the boat itself. BTW, a swing keel is just a fancy way of saying the boat has a weighted centerboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-02-2007
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
In general a swing keel when grounded just bumps up and out of the way. However, you need to keep an eye on the keel bolt washers (no matter what material they're made of) and in some instances the bolts have broken after years of wear. Things you don't need to worry about with a fixed keel. Downside of a fixed keel, is that you have a deeper draft, and when you groudn it, she doesn't give. You just stop or break something.
Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
The grounding question is obvious, but what about sailing characteristics?
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Like all centerboard boats, a swing keel will point better when the keel is down, rather than when it is up. It will also be a bit more stable, but not significantly so. Finally, like all centerboard boats, the boat's center of lateral resistance will shift slightly, depending on the position of the swing keel.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
They don't sail quite as close to the wind becuase the centreboard is usuallly flat, rather than a foil, hence the lift that they generate is not significant. But then - if you're not sailing the fin keel properly you're not getting a lot of lift of the keel either so ...

The short answer is that it's not a big concern as far as sailing performance goes. One thing to keep in mind is that the centreboards have a tendency to clunk from side to side in the centreboard case when the wind is light and this can be INCREDIBLY irritating 'round about the fourth day of listening to it...
Old 11-02-2007
Telstar 28

Some centerboards are foil shaped... like the one on my boat. Also, not all centerboards clunk. My rudder clunks a little, but the centerboard is completely quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
They don't sail quite as close to the wind becuase the centreboard is usuallly flat, rather than a foil, hence the lift that they generate is not significant. But then - if you're not sailing the fin keel properly you're not getting a lot of lift of the keel either so ...

The short answer is that it's not a big concern as far as sailing performance goes. One thing to keep in mind is that the centreboards have a tendency to clunk from side to side in the centreboard case when the wind is light and this can be INCREDIBLY irritating 'round about the fourth day of listening to it...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Some centerboards are foil shaped... like the one on my boat. Also, not all centerboards clunk. My rudder clunks a little, but the centerboard is completely quiet.
I'm talking about normal boats
Old 11-02-2007
Telstar 28

LOL... depends on what you consider normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
I'm talking about normal boats

Telstar 28
New England