Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007

mentalfee is on a distinguished road
Traveler vs Twin Mainsheets

My boat is currently rigged with a 2:1 end boom sheet which has a pin style traveler against he back of the cockpit. IT MUST GO!!! I hate it. If you are not careful it will try to remove your head.

This means the mainsheet system will be moved to mid boom on the cabin top. I have read and agree with most of the threads about extra stress on the boom, needing to increase purchase etc. The boom is made by LeFiell and has a very substantial cross section. I have contacted the manufacturer and they felt it could easily handle the increased stress. So no worries there.

The question has come up when talking to some old local salts about what system to replace it with; a traveler system with a single mainsheet or a twin mainsheet system. The twin main sheet system would be mounted on the outside edges of the cabin top.

To my knowledge the traveler serves two functions, move the main closer to center and also works like a vang to pull the boom downwards. I have a good vang system present so this would be redundant.

The advantages of the twin mainsheet would be a greater distance between end points of nearly 8 feet versus the 4 feet of the traveler. The twin system also works as a modified preventer where the traveler does not.

I see this system and its use more frequently on European boats where US boats lean towards a traveler setup. Some Open 60's also use the twin system. Some people claim I can get better sail shape and tuning from the twin system as well. The boat will be used as a cruiser and only a racer if somebody is close enough on the same tack

I already have purchased the Schaefer traveler system but if the twin system is superior I will go that direction.

Any input on the pros and cons of either system is appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
mentalfee-

The traveler doesn't really work like a vang, except when sailing relatively close to the wind. The main function of the traveler is to adjust sail position, relative to the centerline of the boat. Often, with a line-controlled traveler, you can trim the main via adjusting the traveler when sailing relatively close to the wind. It also allows you to depower the sail a bit in heavy winds.

The main problem with a dual mainsheet system is that the main has to be re-trimmed for every tack/gybe, which isn't always the case when using a traveller and single mainsheet.

The traveler track also will spread the load over a greater area of the cabintop than will the twin mainsheets, which will concentrate the loads in the two points they are attached.

Finally, you'll have more lines in the cockpit with a twin mainsheet system, than you will with a single mainsheet and traveler system.

Also, depending on where the twin mainsheets are attached to the cabintop, it may not really work as a preventer, since a preventer really needs to be led from a point fairly far forward to work well—the cabintop corners where it appears you'll be mounting the mainsheets isn't really going to be all that good as a preventer since on a downwind run, the mainsheet on the side the boom is on may be long enough for the boom to still gybe most of the way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Mental, waht about some photos of the boat and the size etc. so we can help??

You also need to "revise" some concepts you presentely have in your mind that don't seem right.
Old 11-07-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I sort of understand, conceptually what you are referring to as a twin mainsheet system, however I've never seen any such system in a boat. Any boat I've seen in the USA has either the traditional traveller/one mainsheet or no traveler at all.

I attached a picture of PUMA , a current Open 70. She has a standard traveller with a double-ended main sheet - is this what you have in mind?

If you go thru with this change, be sure to use multiple, single blocks on the boom so the load doesn't pull in one point of the boom, but in several.
Attached Thumbnails
Traveler vs Twin Mainsheets-traveler.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
SF, unless he is talking about my configuration.

mine is a twin in a single loop.

I wonder if it is....
Old 11-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailingfool-

What he is talking about is setting two mainsheets, which are led port and starboard. If you have Spurr's book, Guide to Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat, you'll see a drawing of the setup in there. You trim the main using the windward mainsheet and the other acts as a vang or depending on the boat's layout possibly as a preventer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-07-2007

I just don't understand why he wants to remove the best system there is..and install it in the cabin...
Old 11-07-2007
Telstar 28

Either am I Giu... If I were him, I'd replace the end-boom setup with a good adjustable, non-pin stop traveler, which he's already bought. An end boom traveler/mainsheet is easier to trim and safer IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-07-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Sailingfool-

What he is talking about is setting two mainsheets, which are led port and starboard. If you have Spurr's book, Guide to Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat, you'll see a drawing of the setup in there. You trim the main using the windward mainsheet and the other acts as a vang or depending on the boat's layout possibly as a preventer.
That is the idea I took from the description, what I completely miss, is why bother with such a system? It sounds like you would often need to trim both sheets to get the proper set of the main, whereas with a seperate main and traveller, you can usually trim only one of them....

Seems pretty obvious why such a system is in little use, if any...
Old 11-07-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
I have questions similar to the OP's. I'd like a traveler to reduce heel and weather helm on this SJ21, and to keep the mainsheet out of the cockpit on runs and deep reaches. The current setup is boom-end; thru dual blocks near the transom on either coaming; then down to a swiveling block with cam cleat on the aft cockpit floor.

If I understand correctly, the traveler performs at least two functions: it lets you vary the angle of the mainsheet, which affects tension on the leech (like a vang) and flatness of the sail; and it changes the point where the boom's upward force is transmitted to the hull.

So in heavy air, moving the traveler outboard means the sheet pulls vertically down hard on the boom, flattening the sail and reducing its power. In return, the boom pulls up hard on the leeward rail, which stands the boat up straighter, reducing heel and weather helm. This lift increases as the traveler moves farther outboard from the mast (centerline).

In light air, pulling the traveler to windward puts the mainsheet at a lower angle, allowing the boom to lift slightly, resulting in a fatter sail when close hauled. Same reason you vang off when pointing in light winds, right? It may also induce a bit of heel, which is desirable on many boats.

Does the above sound anything like correct?

I see alot of hybrid travelers, some of which up attach to the cockpit centerline. While that may place the sheet in your proper hand, won't it also partly reduce the effectiveness of a traveler? Here's one on a San Juan:

It uses 2:1 blocks on a line as the traveler, but then anchors the boom's midpoint to the centerline. Seems to somewhat defeat the purpose. Though it is a handy location.

Sooo.... Keeping in mind I'll have a tiller coming over the transom, what's the best traveler setup for my boat? I'm not keen on putting one mid-boom, across the cockpit. Want to keep a clean seating area. Across the back of the coamings? Right across the transom, blocked way up?

And where should the traveler controls cleat off, esp. for singlehanding in high winds? Does the above "double-ended mainsheet" prototype look feasible?

How far can a traveler beam span unsupported? And how far can it be behind the boom end? The X-shaped tracks claim to resist up to 20 degrees of lateral pull -- but aren't ALL travelers subjected to worse angles than that when running downwind?

Gratzi.