Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
What about dyform wire? When I replaced the V1s I asked the rigger about dyform, and his response was 'not worth it'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
SD,
If they weren't invisible, then the scores of impaled sailors with bloodied body parts, must all be blind.
Old 12-05-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Max-on - I'd question the reason behind it. Yes, you get some increased breaking strength and decreased stretch and save some weight, but from what I understand - you pay A LOT for that. For safety (inspection) reasons I think I'd pick it over rod, but only if I was putting together an offshore racer and had a reason to pay the extra money.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-05-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Max-on - I'd question the reason behind it. Yes, you get some increased breaking strength and decreased stretch and save some weight, but from what I understand - you pay A LOT for that. For safety (inspection) reasons I think I'd pick it over rod, but only if I was putting together an offshore racer and had a reason to pay the extra money.
Labatt, you may have not understood by question; the rigger recommended standard wire, I asked him about dyform, and he said it was not worth it. I was in a rush and late for an appointment that day and did not have time to inquire as to why, so I was curious as to the reason for his response. I did not know dyform is 'so' much more expensive, that is probably the reason for his comment.
Old 12-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They're just hard to see prior to blooding them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
SD,
If they weren't invisible, then the scores of impaled sailors with bloodied body parts, must all be blind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I was being ficitious SD, just as "no-see-ums" can be seen, but usually only after you swat them dead against your biten skin.
Old 12-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I know that you were being facetious. but as you get older, the eyesight starts to go...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I was being ficitious SD, just as "no-see-ums" can be seen, but usually only after you swat them dead against your biten skin.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-05-2007
Señor Member

I never said it happened to me - and it hasn't. My rigging wire is very sound (as far as my aging eyes can tell, that is . . . ).
Old 12-05-2007
Telstar 28

TB—

I never said you were aging... any inferences you make are completely your own...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-05-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The big thing about rod is that it has a much longer lifespan and is actually more reliable and easier to inspect. It also offers significant reduction in stretch for a given weight, strength and diameter.

Most wire rigging failures are at the terminals. Its true that with really shot wire rigging you get a meathook, but typically long before the meathook shows the wire has lost its strength.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.