SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Standing rigging

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  KeelHaulin 
#1 · (Edited)
What's the advantage or disadvantage of rod rigging vs traditional wire rigging

#2 ·
Biggest disadvantage of rod rigging is that there is really little way to tell whether it needs to be replaced. When it goes, it goes. There's really no way to tell if it's fatiguing other than to x-ray. In addition, if you hit it the wrong way and it bends or kinks, you have to replace it. The primary advantages of rod rigging are less stretch and reduced windage. On the other hand, when you replace rod rigging you can often reuse a lot of the end fittings.

#3 ·
I'm those more expert than I will weigh in any minute but...
Advantages: Strong, light.
Rod is lighter for a given strength than 1x19 I believe.
It has less windage (thinner for a given strength).
Disadvantages: $, repairability, predictability or inspectability.
It is more expensive, harder to find in far away places and is harder to inspect for impending failure (I'm told).

For those reasons you generally see 1x19 on most cruising boats vs rod although that's not a universal rule. I think the go fast types are looking away from rod and at UHMWPE now.
Ike

#4 ·
One other thing... carrying spares on a longer cruise is almost impossible with rod rigging, but not with wire rigging. It is often a good idea to carry a piece of rigging slightly longer than the longest piece you might break and the Sta-locks to fit it. Then, if you do have a piece break, you can swap an replacement in.

#5 ·
It is often a good idea to carry a piece of rigging slightly longer than the longest piece you might break and the Sta-locks to fit it. Then, if you do have a piece break, you can swap an replacement in.
Hey SD; if you had a rod-rigged boat, couldn't you still have an emergency spare piece of wire rigging as you suggest? Not as a permanent replacement, but as a "fix it to get me home" deal?

Or, are they different enough that they would be incompatable even for a short period?

Fred

#6 ·
I only use wire.

One of the main reasons is rig tuning flexibility, and the fact that my mast can move up and down with a jack I have at the base that allows me to increase shroud tension on the go, without the need to stop. I have all scaled down and know what tension does each centimeter of mast movement correspond. This would be harder to do with all rod. (unless its Carbon fiber).

In my case we didn't know where the whole thing would end up, and tuning intially called for wire, and i have a quite thick rod, to allow me to sail ion harder winds..

With rod, its ok once you know where you want things, which was not my case, and having to re-rig was not worth it.

Here's my wire rigging.

#10 ·
But TB, the meat hooks aren't invisible, especially once you get blood all over them. :D

#15 ·
They're just hard to see prior to blooding them. :)

#13 ·
Max-on - I'd question the reason behind it. Yes, you get some increased breaking strength and decreased stretch and save some weight, but from what I understand - you pay A LOT for that. For safety (inspection) reasons I think I'd pick it over rod, but only if I was putting together an offshore racer and had a reason to pay the extra money.

#14 ·
Max-on - I'd question the reason behind it. Yes, you get some increased breaking strength and decreased stretch and save some weight, but from what I understand - you pay A LOT for that. For safety (inspection) reasons I think I'd pick it over rod, but only if I was putting together an offshore racer and had a reason to pay the extra money.
Labatt, you may have not understood by question; the rigger recommended standard wire, I asked him about dyform, and he said it was not worth it. I was in a rush and late for an appointment that day and did not have time to inquire as to why, so I was curious as to the reason for his response. I did not know dyform is 'so' much more expensive, that is probably the reason for his comment.

#17 ·
I know that you were being facetious. :D but as you get older, the eyesight starts to go... ;)

#19 ·
TB—

I never said you were aging... ;) any inferences you make are completely your own... :D

#20 ·
The big thing about rod is that it has a much longer lifespan and is actually more reliable and easier to inspect. It also offers significant reduction in stretch for a given weight, strength and diameter.

Most wire rigging failures are at the terminals. Its true that with really shot wire rigging you get a meathook, but typically long before the meathook shows the wire has lost its strength.

Jeff

#21 ·
Jeff-

Could you explain how rod rigging is easier to inspect? What would be considered a normal lifespan for rod rigging and how much longer than equivalent wire?

I was always under the impression that rod rigging is going to cost quite a bit more in purchase and maintenance because the only way to service it is by hiring a rigger with the proper x-ray equipment. With wire rigging a good visual inspection every few months should be all that's necessary until you discover a meathook or a cracked swage, etc. If you discover any signs of fatigue "it's time" to replace it; while rod rigging if not inspected for fatigue cracking with x-ray equipment is potentially a catastrophic failure risk (depending on it's age and amount of use). It seems to me that wire rigging is far more forgiving in terms of determining when it is time to replace it; can you explain why not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.