Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
As said the Passport, Valiant (Perry design boats), Island Packet 40 and Caliber have had the Pullman berths forever. Caliber 40 and Island Packet 40 also have the head front of the Pullman berth.
I agree with Jeff and others about the advantages and disadvantages of a Pullman berth. Getting up in the middle of the night and having to climb over the other person is a pain. However, If done seductively,,, who knows what could happen! Maybe coping a free feel along the way! If one is on anchor watch or has a weak bladder they can sleep on the outside. There is always a solution of sorts for most disadvantage problems on boats. Maybe not the best but a solution nevertheless.

Forward head. On the Caliber 40 boats it makes the master suite like the Ritz for a small sailboat when at anchor, dock or mooring ball (90%) of the time. When at sea, it is a great place to store things, especially in the enclosed shower. There is never enough storage on a sailboat. The other great advantage is storing wet sails, like spinnaker, code zero ,A-sails or staysail and not get the V-berth wet or any other areas where water and materials are not wanted. If you accidentally leave the forward hatch open, no real big deal as the water goes into the bathroom and gets pumped out. No damage.

As far a sea berths, non issue on most boats with Pullman configurations. Most sailors use the settee's with lee-cloths or the small aft cabin for which the designers make so communications between the person on watch can easily communicate with the sleeping person when the occasion arises.
As far as the second head, Passport, Valiant and Calibers all have a head aft.
Island Packet 37/38 designs are unique in their designs of the forward berth. There is a odd shape queen size bed that can be gotten in and out of on each side. One I favor a lot over a V-berth.
Melissa Renee'

Last edited by Melrna; 12-12-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Let's face it, unless it's dead-calm, using a head underway is rarely comfortable, whether it's forward or aft. In my experience, the HC33's forward head is actually better ventilated than most heads further aft in the cabin. The HC33 has an overhead hatch and a port for ventilation/light in the head.

Many sailors I know use the settees in the main cabin with leecloths as seaberths. Additionally, most pullmans can also be fitted with leecloths. As for disturbing your mate when entering/exiting a pullman berth, well, I find that v-berths on boats under 40' aren't easy to get in and out of without disturbing your mate either.

Obviously, every boat is a compromise and we each have our own tastes. But the HC33 and other boats with pullmans are very appealing to me because of the use of cabin space and the roomy, comfortable bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Can someone explain why the head forward with a pullman berth behind is appealing. Maybe its me, but I have never understood the appeal of a pullman berth or having the head all the way in the bow. Underway, there is too much motion to make using the forward head comfortable, and the pullman berth is only a seaberth on one tack.
Jeff, I think that's pretty much the reason, so that you can use it as a berth at sea. Like you said, motion is crazy up forward, especially when you are beating into the wind, so it's nearly impossible to use the forward v-berth to sleep when making passages like that. But with the berth further back you can use lee cloths and such to actually have a berth underway. The difference between being uncomfortable for a few minutes while you relieve yourself or being uncomfortable for hours while you try to sleep. I agree though with a forward head you might need to install seat belts lol.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Island Packet 37/38 designs are unique in their designs of the forward berth. There is a odd shape queen size bed that can be gotten in and out of on each side. One I favor a lot over a V-berth.
Melissa Renee'
Melissa,

I like your creative suggestions for dealing with the pullman berth.

As an aside, the partial walk-around, island style v-berth is not unique to IP. That feature is offered by a quite a few builders -- Catalina (42,etc), Pacific Seacraft (Crealock 40) among them, many others too.

I often wonder which way your feet go in those bunks -- forward like a conventional v-berth, or aft with head and shoulders forward?
Old 12-14-2007

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
The best part is that you have really utilized you space with a pullman. Rarely would I used the head in the bow underway. Most pullmans allow huge drawer space and hanging lockers on the opposite site, where in a regular profuction style V berth the head is there. Most boats like the Saga 43 you would sleep in the queen aft cabin.
Old 12-14-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
The pullman berth feels more open to me, more like a small bedroom. I agree with the assessment that underway a forward head might be hard to use, but it does utilize a funny shape quite well. I believe the Islander 36 had a pullman berth. The Pearson 424 has a pullman and a head with a dedicated shower.
pigslo
Old 01-05-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Just saw this thread.
I sailed on Beneteau 393 with a Pullman berth forward and I liked it a lot:
- forward head is very comfortable and usable on both tacks. In Adria there is no issue with large waves.
- I like the large drawers below the berth. Easy access and a lot of space.
- About checking the anchor: Let us admit that one person does it most of the time. This defines who sleeps where. And climbing from traditional V berth guarantees to wake the other person. Here you just leave.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

finished cruising after two years.

Last edited by tomaz_423; 01-05-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I had a Taswell 44AS with a pullman forward, 4 large drawers underneath, a nicework station and a large hanging locker. The head was near the forpeak with a large storage locker forward. The only problem was tha you needed a seat belt to use the head in a sea way.
Old 01-05-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Saga 43 is a great expample of Pullman also. One advanatage is sleeping further after than in a V berth is less motion at anchor. Most boats with them have a second head which is the primary one while the V head is mainly for anchor. There also seems to be more hanging locker space with pullmans as the bulkhead opposite the bed is usually long and has plenty of run for a hanging locker, where in a traditional V berth this are is usually not much great than the length of the "V". The pullman gives an appearenceof being more wid eupone with more headroom than the V also.
Old 01-09-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
My Truant 33 has a pullman forward. It is a nice arrangement for coastal cruising but probably not very good for offshore. It allows for standing room beside it to get changed, a hanging locker and some nice drawers underneath it. I am 6'6" tall and the bunk works well for my wife and me. Ventilation is not a problem with an overhead hatch and an opening portlight. It does have a lee cloth so it would be useful on both tacks at sea but I think we would likely sleep farther aft if we sailed overnight.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.