Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007

gmjosey is on a distinguished road
Kalik 44

Does anyone have any information on the "quality" of the Kalik 44 ? I've only seen some photos of it. It has a decent PHRF number and seems big enough to go cruising.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
The design seems ok. I think Gary mull was involved with the Kalik 40. You might want to verify who the Naval Architect for the 44 was. What I've heard is that the build quality varies with Kaliks, as the marketing firm tried different builders in Hong Kong. (In contrast, J-Boats has stuck with Tillotson-Pearson, so build quality has been relatively constant.) Teak decks seem to be the Achilles heel of these boats -- lots of leaky fastenings once the boats get older. This means that Kalik 44's may vary considerably in build quiality and condition. The age of these boats also means that they've had ample opportunity to be well or poorly maintained. A thorough inspection is indicated if the price is right, followed up by a careful survey. If you get that far, try to be there for the survey, to learn as much as you can from the surveyor.

Last edited by paulk; 12-23-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-23-2007

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
The Kalik 40 was a Gary Mull design built in Korea by Hyundai. I looked at one once that was very abused (major project boat.) The hull had held up pretty well aside from trashed gel coating, but the sytems were all trashed. The Teak decks were destroyed but I couldn't find any obvious soft spots on the deck. Granted I didn't survey the boat or pull hardware and check with a moisture meter but I was impressed that the decks remained sound. I never actually confirmed they were cored decks. The boat had an original Vetus diesel (frozen) that was a marinized Peugeot 504 engine. I'm with paulk, I never knew they made a 44 and I dont know where it was made or who penned it. It was tough finding good info on the 40, good luck, I'm sure someone here knows more about the 44.
Old 01-28-2008

docket is on a distinguished road
I own a 44 and there are a few out there. The build quality is awesome but, like any boat built in the early 80's everything is old, worn out, and I had to replace it. For information there is the svambition website and the yangwa website.