Anybody aware of "other" big daysailers - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-28-2007 Thread Starter

Anybody aware of "other" big daysailers

As my alias implies, I currently have a Quickstep 24, an attractive, reasonably stable boat with a huge cockpit and modest accommodations below. I'd like to step up to something larger, but with the same attributes, for my "last" boat. At prices north of $250k, The Morris 36, the Sabre Spirit and the Alerion Express hit the mark, but not my budget. Also, 36' is a bit bigger than I need. Has anyone heard rumblings from any other manufacturers that might be preparing to build a "character" daysailor in the 30' range?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-28-2007
Just another Moderator

Aileron 28 comes to mind, and older boats like the Viking 28 fit that bill too, the Aileron would come in at $50-60K or more, while the Viking around $10K tops, I'd think..
post #3 of 20 Old 12-29-2007

I suggest that you pick up a copy of Woodenboat magazine. The classifieds are full of the boats that the modern 'daysailor' are based on at far cheaper prices.

Jeff
post #4 of 20 Old 12-30-2007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I suggest that you pick up a copy of Woodenboat magazine. The classifieds are full of the boats that the modern 'daysailor' are based on at far cheaper prices.

Jeff

I subscribed to WoodenBoat back in the days when I owned a wooden boat. I vowed to once again own a wooden boat when I was either rich enough to have someone maintain it or had enough time to maintain it myself. I haven't reached that point yet........
post #5 of 20 Old 01-02-2008

Boat Wanted

I just looked at an Alerion 28 for $10,000. Needed the wood refinished and the hull had a LOT of moisture in it. Still tempted to buy it. I started out looking for a Quickstep 24, but I can not find one in the NE. Anyone know of one? I was too late on a Quickstep 24 with an inboard. Does anyone know of Quickstep 24 for sale> Anyone converted one to an inboard?
Thanks,
Mike
post #6 of 20 Old 01-02-2008

Another one that might be worth considering is the J100 ( http://www.yachtworld.com/leaving_yw...www.jboats.com ). I wouldn't call it a "character" daysailer, but it is similar to the smaller Aelerions in purpose and design, only lacking the teak trim etc. They come in around half the price of the Morris and Sabre. Here's a new/used example:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=13064&url=
post #7 of 20 Old 01-02-2008

For that matter you can sometimes find J-105's for sale pretty cheaply.

Jeff
post #8 of 20 Old 01-02-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC1968 View Post
I just looked at an Alerion 28 for $10,000. Needed the wood refinished and the hull had a LOT of moisture in it. Still tempted to buy it. I started out looking for a Quickstep 24, but I can not find one in the NE. Anyone know of one? I was too late on a Quickstep 24 with an inboard. Does anyone know of Quickstep 24 for sale> Anyone converted one to an inboard?
Thanks,
Mike
Sailnet also hosts a Quickstep email list. You can join it and send a mail to see if anyone has one for sale. I'm a member of the list and see them come up for sale from time to time. I've yet to see an inboard come up for sale, but I might go after it if it did.

If I find a candidate to replace mine, I'll let you know when I sell mine. Mine's an outboard model, but it's a teriffic boat.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-02-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
For that matter you can sometimes find J-105's for sale pretty cheaply.

Jeff

I really like the J-105, but at 6-1/2' draft it's a little deep for the channel on the creek where I live.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I really like the J-105, but at 6-1/2' draft it's a little deep for the channel on the creek where I live.
There is a shoal draft variant of the J105, about 5 feet, I think. The shoal draft may no longer be offered with a new boat, but it was available when the design was introduced and there were entire fleets in certain geographic areas that adopted the shoal draft as the standard for the racing fleet.

The J100 I mentioned above has a 5.75' standard and 4.4' shoal draft.

While an older J-105 would leave a lot of money in your pocket, I think the J100 is a more evolved design, with greater emphasis on the simplified daysailing aspects while retaining the ability to enjoy club racing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.