Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
Steel Hull Construction

I was looking at buying a boat that has a steel hull. The boat is a few years old. What should I look for or questions to ask the builder? Is steel hulls better then fiberglass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really need to get a survey, by a surveyor that is familiar with steel boats. Corrosion is one of the biggest problems with steel boats. One person that you might want to contact via PM here is Valiente, since he owns a steel beastie.

Steel can be an excellent material for boats, particularly larger ones, but their biggest problem is hidden corrosion damage. Galvanic corrosion can eat away the hull more quickly than you would expect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-09-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Ditto SailingDog. Make sure the surveyor KNOWS steel boats. There are some who have developed a subspecialty in surveying metal boats, it would be best to find one of them.

Any other details you can provide? Like the designer, builder, model name etc? Photos?
Old 01-09-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
There's a number of books out there on the pluses and minuses of steel. You have to decide a number of generalities about it as a material before you go for it. Firstly among these is that the larger the steel sailboat, the better in terms of sailing ability. Under 40 feet, most steel sailboats are pigs due to sail area-to-displacement ratios.

I have, however, seen exceptions. My own boat is 41' 10" LOA and 29,500 lbs. light load (full fuel, no water, little gear). This is medium displacement for steel (a friend's Goderich 40 is 36,000 lbs., for instance), but is a full five tons heavier than a Catalina 42 made of fibreglass.

The surveyor is best selected from commercial surveyors who do recreational boats on the side. Fibreglass boat surveyors aren't always well-versed in what to look for (there is superficial corrosion dealt with by a wire brush and Ospho primer, for instance, versus structural corrosion requiring welding and replating or framing...but they both look like rust to the untrained eye).

The benefits of steel are, however, many. Quite a number of steel boats have become famous for safe and comfortable circumnavigations; the French, Germans and Dutch (in particular) value them for the rough North Sea, and I would say it is still the favoured hull material for high-latitude "expedition" sailing...a good third to half of the boats discussed in the magazine "Ocean Navigator" seem to be steel. It is hard to hurt and easy to fix. It requires grinding, priming and painting, but if the initial metal priming was done well, this is generally cosmetic in nature.

Good luck with your research.
Old 01-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget that galvanic corrosion and bonding issues are far more important on a steel boat...so if you've got electrical problems, you might be damaging your hull.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-09-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I was advised to get a boat in a material I was familiar with repairing. GRP is fairly easy, I think. But I have a friend who wouldn't touch the carcinogenic stuff. He is a steel man, runs around with bits of welding rod behind his ears, a dab hand with a wire brush and knows ever rust remover / inhibitor on the planet.

He has a point, I could not repair minor damage with tool No 1. - a hammer.
Old 01-09-2008
Telstar 28

This is an especially good point if you're planning on cruising in foreign waters, far from modern boatyards. Also a good point if you're not filthy rich and plan on doing a lot of work on the boat yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
I was advised to get a boat in a material I was familiar with repairing. GRP is fairly easy, I think. But I have a friend who wouldn't touch the carcinogenic stuff. He is a steel man, runs around with bits of welding rod behind his ears, a dab hand with a wire brush and knows ever rust remover / inhibitor on the planet.

He has a point, I could not repair minor damage with tool No 1. - a hammer.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-09-2008

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Ditto SailingDog. Make sure the surveyor KNOWS steel boats. There are some who have developed a subspecialty in surveying metal boats, it would be best to find one of them.

Any other details you can provide? Like the designer, builder, model name etc? Photos?
Please tell me what you think? Here is the listing in yachtworld.com. It will also cost $18,000-$22,000 to bring back to Fort Lauderdale.

Click on image to enlarge
40' Langer Cutter
Year: 2007
Current Price: EUR 299,000
(US$ 440,307)
Located In Europe
Hull Material: Steel
Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
YW# 1412-1658180
Old 01-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
This appears to be a nicely built NEW steel boat. I think the high freeboard and CC design in this size boat makes it look a bit topheavy... and you will also need to think about whether the wiring and gas stove/system were done to Euro specs and would need to be re-done for the USA. Also...you need to investigate any US import duties etc. so as not to be blindsided by anything. Interior joinery looks lovely and you don't have any teak deck worries with steel underneath. My guess is that at 24000 lbs. she is not gonna be real quick around the buoys.
Old 01-10-2008
Telstar 28

Cam-

That's really not all that heavy, given that it is a steel 40' boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.