Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008

Mollusk is on a distinguished road
shallow draft pros and cons

I just bought a morgan 321 shallow draft. It draws 4. So far it has performed well under San Juan winter conditions. I had it out in 30 kts with 4' bay chop- no problems. The general mentality up here as far as draft goes is: the deeper the better. There are plenty of deep anchorages and much fewer sand bars than in the east or the gulf. I just want to hear what some others think as far as pros and cons of shallow draft go. Is the stability altered when you get into some really heavy weather? How are they in the open Pacific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Someone like Jeff H can give you a much more technical review, but from a PNW perspective there's not a real need for shoal draft, as you say.

However, you have one so:
You will have an advantage in many anchorages in that you can "sneak" in behind the pack and anchor tighter to the beach of the end of a cove - this will be especially handy in the busy summer season. If stern tying, with caution you can tuck in closer and maybe get out of a breeze or current. You'll still need to keep an eye on the tides, of course.

As far as performance goes, there will be a bit of a penalty, mostly in progress to weather. Your numbers may well look OK, but if you are sailing upwind in close proximity to a similar boat with deeper draft, you will probably find you lose ground on each tack as you will suffer more from leeway. (Assuming both boats equally well sailed, of course)

At sea it will likely be a less noticeable difference unless, again, you need to fight your way to windward, or "claw" your way off a lee shore somewhere....

Many "shoal" versions carry some additional ballast weight to offset the righting-arm loss, so depending on design there may not be a huge difference in "stiffness".

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on the boat. If you're talking about a monohull sailboat, deeper drafts tend to be more stable than the same design with a shoal draft.

However, you can also get shallow draft via a multihull... in which case the Pacific was explored by shallow draft boats a long, long time ago. The Polynesian Islanders explored and colonized much of the southern Pacific in multihulls.

One major advantage of shallow draft boats is that you have more areas in which you can anchor. This becomes a huge benefit if you're trying to hide from a hurricane or storm.

A very shallow draft boat can go up small creeks or rivers or into very shallow bays, where the storm's effects will be severely blunted. It also means you can get into more harbors, without necessarily waiting for the tide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2008

Tumblehome32 is on a distinguished road
It has more to do with the angle of vanishing stability and keel side area, not just draft. I would think a lot of Morgan 321 owners could give you the best advice on real world conditions.
Old 01-16-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
With no lead mine hanging below my Gemini, a wave passes under it and transfers no force to the non existent keel- so in monster waves my boat just slides on the face rather than tripping over a rock like a mono does.

Shoal draft boats generally carry more ballast than their deep draft sister ships, that is designed in to it to compensate for the higher center of gravity.
Old 01-16-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Concerning whether a shoal draft boat will survive in blue water -- Carleton Mitchell's famous Finnistere was a center-boarder designed by Olin Stephens. Finnistere won consecutive Bermuda races back when.

In sum, yes a deep fin is usually better, but that doesn't mean a shoal draft boat isn't seaworthy or can't go to weather.

Disclaimer -- I sail a P-33-2 with a winged keel that draws 4'2" and I haven't died yet.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-17-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Intrepid, the Bristol 32 originally built for Ted Hood, has no problem plodding the Pacific between Hawaii and Japan, and they also do well in the Atlantic. While there was a centerboard option, the majority of them were shoal draft at 4 1/2 feet.
Old 01-17-2008

Nottoway is on a distinguished road
Nottoway, my Bristol 39 (40) centerboarder is not unlike Finsiterre, drawing only 4' with the board up. In rough seas, pulling the board up makes the boat less resistent to waves--it slides sideways a little more easily resulting in a less jerky motion. The board is a maintenace headache, however. It broke off in mid-Atlantic and a new one had to be built in the Azores. (The fiberglass board was built with steel re-bar to stiffen it, the re-bar rusted and swelled, weakening the board and rough weather finished it off.) The wire pennant has also broken a few times due to flexing and deterioration where it attaches to the board.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.