Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
hunter traveller arch

i was at the boston boat show a few weeks back and noticed the hunters have the traveller mounted on a stainless pipe arch over the cockpit. just wondering how this setup works. was thinking of building one for my catalina 30. any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Aaaahhh, the famous Rube Goldberg design.
Old 01-31-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Never did like them.
To each his own I guess.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-31-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
i was at the boston boat show a few weeks back and noticed the hunters have the traveller mounted on a stainless pipe arch over the cockpit. just wondering how this setup works. was thinking of building one for my catalina 30. any thoughts.
What attracts you to this idea - do you want to get the traveler out of the cockpit? If so, a less experimental way to do so would be to go to mid-boom sheeting and mount it over the cabintop. You can run the sheet aft on the side-deck if you worry about single-handling.

If you really want an arch, I'd have a naval architect design it for you, or you could end up with a mess.
Old 01-31-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
This isn't a novel or untested idea although Hunter is among the few who have adopted the arch to all their larger boats. Among the obvious advantages are easier access to the traveller with end-boom sheeting making it more easily managed with less strain. I've sailed a couple of them with this design and it is definitely easier to tweek the traveller and I'm all for easier.
Designing one yourself such that it is properly supported and able to withstand the stresses inherent in boom controls is inherently something few of us are qualified to properly do so, although Hunter's design is quite good, you may want to go about this with some caution.
I've seen similar arrangements on a Shannon and an Oyster and tend to think their reputations speak more than words here.
Old 01-31-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
I'm not a fan of mid-boom sheeting (high loads and distance from helm) and Hunter's arch is a novel approach. It's not really a DIY project, though.... as the fool says, get a professional to help you on this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)

Last edited by ReverendMike; 01-31-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Many of the Cat's I've chartered have the traveller on a arch or at the back of the solid bimini. I love the idea and would love to convert my Gemini' s traveller from back of the cockpit to bimini/arch.
No way I'd do it myself - too many ways to go wrong on how much force it would have to handle and proper braceing.
Old 01-31-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
sorry, didn't mean to say

i would build it myself. i have a stainless fabricator i do some work with who has a structural engineer working for him. i was really wondering if anyone had a hunter or had sailed a hunter with one and how it functioned. it seems like a simpler design than a mid boom traveler.
Old 01-31-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
We call those Hunter Roll Bars. They make a good place for stereo speakers. Need I say more?

But I will -- you probably would have to lose some mainsail area to give headroom under the arch, then more clearance room atop the arch for the traveler, mainsheet stuff, etc. Most Hunters get around this by having huge mains with a big roach, which they can have because of the lack of backstays.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-31-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
I've seen similar arrangements on a Shannon and an Oyster and tend to think their reputations speak more than words here.
Luckily the rest of their boats aren't shaped like a clorox bottle.