Vancouver 27 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2008 Thread Starter

Vancouver 27

!Ahoy Folks! I am trying to find more info on the construction of the US built VANCOUVER 27 Cutter designed by Robert Harris. I am most keen on knowing how the aft end of the keel and strut are built. Any one out there know of any problems with this unique feature? Looks stout to me in fotos but I have not seen one in person. I know bad engineering or materials selection can sometimes lead to failure in seemingly ample scantlings. Also if any on knows of source(s) of info on this model Please advise me.
Thanks, Michael Scott
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2012

Re: Vancouver 27

Just bought a V27, UK Pheon-built 1982, and saw some cracking on the top of the rudder strut along its length. Ground down to the depth of the crack (a couple inches)and found a bunch of moldy foam core. Just had to clean it up and refill with a bunch of epoxy and GRP cloth. Now stronger than the strut ever was before.

Otehrwise, like the rest of the boat, it seems to be very solidly constructed.

There is no core material anywhere amongst the rest of the hull, as far as I know.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2012

As far as I know the Vancouver 27 was never built in the US. As laika posted Pheon built them in the UK. The originals were built in Vancouver B.C. by Tradewind Boats - actually in Port Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver. After that they were built by Philbrooks in Sidney B.C., and then Seair Marine.

I stood in the prototype at a floating boat show in Richmond B.C. in the early 70's and Robert Harris was present. Although SailboatData.com attributes the design to Maclear and Harris it was designed solely by Robert Harris several years after he left the N.Y firm.

It was the only unfinished boat I have ever toured at a boat show. The interior was just a bare plywood mockup even though it was in the water.

I have always thought they were a great boat for a couple or singlehander going offshore.A friend sailed to New Zealand and back on one in the 80's.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour

Last edited by mitiempo; 04-19-2012 at 11:38 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-20-2012
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Brian,
I think you are correct though I'm not sure if anyone still builds them your side of the Atlantic. They are still being built in the UK.

Vancouver

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.