Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Actually my boat was the dark, sleek, racing sloop of ill-repute anchored in the quiet corner of a dark secluded harbor. I don't know who that leaky teaky was that was tied up to me and why she was rolling so badly.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

MarAzul. is on a distinguished road
Re: Alumium vs wood mast weight?

I just finished a 50' main mast and 34' mizzen. Both are built of laminated Port Orford cedar. Both mast have aluminum hard point where stays and shrouds attach and all bolts are stainless steel

The main weights in at 320 pounds and the mizzen is 185. There is nearly 100 pounds of wire that attaches to both of these mast in shrouds and stays in addition to the 320 and 185#.
Old 04-22-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Actually my boat was the dark, sleek, racing sloop of ill-repute anchored in the quiet corner of a dark secluded harbor. I don't know who that leaky teaky was that was tied up to me and why she was rolling so badly.

Jeff
Those leaky teakys are sailing the world and are at anchor in exotic locations. Just restepped my Sitka spruce mast after a 3 week refit in Thailand. What a beautiful work of art these sticks are. Sorry, but we see all those performance clorox bottles getting lower and lower in the water with the addition of a few cases of beer...I'm, only saying...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-22-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

60:
Now you are not trying to tell me that heavy boats don't sink as much as light boats when loaded are you?

How much a boat sinks when loaded has zero to do with displacement and everything to do with waterplane. Take your boat and a more modern design boat of similar DWL. Both of you will have similar waterplane areas so you will have very similar "lbs per inch immersion".

The idea that you can load the heavy boat more than the light boat is a myth.
That is unless you mean finding space to stow the additional gear. Then the heavy boat has the advantage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
60:
Now you are not trying to tell me that heavy boats don't sink as much as light boats when loaded are you?

How much a boat sinks when loaded has zero to do with displacement and everything to do with waterplane. Take your boat and a more modern design boat of similar DWL. Both of you will have similar waterplane areas so you will have very similar "lbs per inch immersion".

That is unless you mean finding space to stow the additional gear. Then the heavy boat has the advantage.
Bob, just pulling some chain with our performance guys. The immersion ration is always an interesting equation. Seems some guys have to shred every ounce and do away with comfort because it affects performance, or so they think.

Thank for the ample storage on my T37!

Maybe the "lbs per inch immersion" discussion would add to the always hotly debated topic on the performance cruising boat issue?

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-25-2013

Quote:
60:

Bob, just pulling some chain with our performance guys. The immersion ration is always an interesting equation. Seems some guys have to shred every ounce and do away with comfort because it affects performance, or so they think.

Thank for the ample storage on my T37!

Maybe the "lbs per inch immersion" discussion would add to the always hotly debated topic on the performance cruising boat issue?

Old 04-25-2013
grumpy old man

^0:
Thanks. Glad you enjoy your Tayana 37.

For a bit of perspective on loading and it's effect on performance I have this observation taken from taken from two years of racing Passport 40's on SF Bay. We'd have a Pasport Rendezvous each year and this included two days of racing. I called it "Dueling Tubas".

The Passport 40 fleet included boats that had their cushions taken off and tanks drained and also boat with dodgers up, BBQ's and outboards on the stern pulpit and the usual full compliment of CODB. I remember one boat inmparticular that was heading to Mexico right after the Rendezvous and it was ready to go. But the racing was serious and a lot of fun.

It became evident that you could almost predict the finish order by how heavy each boat was. I raced on a boat that had been stripped of just about everything the owner could remove and we won. The poor boat heading off to Mexico came last both races.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-25-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
^0:
Thanks. Glad you enjoy your Tayana 37.

For a bit of perspective on loading and it's effect on performance I have this observation taken from taken from two years of racing Passport 40's on SF Bay. We'd have a Pasport Rendezvous each year and this included two days of racing. I called it "Dueling Tubas".

The Passport 40 fleet included boats that had their cushions taken off and tanks drained and also boat with dodgers up, BBQ's and outboards on the stern pulpit and the usual full compliment of CODB. I remember one boat inmparticular that was heading to Mexico right after the Rendezvous and it was ready to go. But the racing was serious and a lot of fun.

It became evident that you could almost predict the finish order by how heavy each boat was. I raced on a boat that had been stripped of just about everything the owner could remove and we won. The poor boat heading off to Mexico came last both races.
An interesting observation, but since I own a heavy beast, allow me to play devils advocate...

Is it possible that you could predict the ferocity of the competitiveness of the racers (and thus their likely standings at the finish) by their willingness to strip their boats? In my experience there is a correlation between how "foaming at the mouth" serious a racer is and how willing he is to strip his boat.

Example, on a J-30 I raced on I put my fleece jacket on the settee. I was yelled at to put it on the floor to keep the (5oz or so) of weight low for better performance. Did that make a difference? I doubt it, but they were FIERCELY competitive racers and did well. Also, since they were so fiercely competitive they had a top crew (I was an emergency sub) and newer sails and gear.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-25-2013
grumpy old man

Med:
Absoolutely!
Having me on board didn't hurt the winning boat either, said with some degree of modesty, but not much.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-25-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Med:
Absoolutely!
Great! So it's settled then. My boat is slow because of the laid-back boat driver, not the overly-heavy full-keeled hull that is laden with rum and beer.

Bob, any thoughts on if the aluminum masts would make a meaningful difference over other Formosas?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.