Determination of characteristics - SailNet Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-15-2008 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 825
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 10
 
Determination of characteristics

I am looking at a boat with the displacement given as 15000 dry and 17000 presumably with tanks filled. Which figure is typically given so that one can compare boat characteristics?
Secondly it comes in cutter or sloop. I would imagine sail area is compared on the basis of 100% foretriangle. The sloop area is 583 with main 302 jib 281. The cutter has the same main but staysail of 134 and a yankee given variously as 374 or 343 totalling 776-810. Is this because the cutter has the mast further aft so the foretriangle is a bit bigger? Even so that doesn't seem to fit because the yankee looked like say 75% of the foretriangle to me.
How does one compare sail area on a cutter v a sloop?
There is no bowsprit so if the mast is in fact moved back one would expect some some increase in foresail size to balance the boat with the same sized main, but then should you really add in the staysail as well as a larger foresail? The combined difference seems a bit high to me. The boat is a Cabot 36 and the figures come from both the original 1970s specs and the new ones since they have started rebuilding them so there is a possibility of a typo or the sailplan having been changed.
chris_gee is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2 Old 04-15-2008
Senior Member
 
Ilenart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Australia
Posts: 515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
I am looking at a boat with the displacement given as 15000 dry and 17000 presumably with tanks filled. Which figure is typically given so that one can compare boat characteristics?
The lesser figure sounds like the "Light" condition ie without crew stores, water or fuel. The heavier No is probably "Half-loaded" with crew. Half-loaded is a better number to use, however the Light number appears to be more commonly quoted in advertising. So long as you are comparing apples with apples it's not a big issue.

Quote:
I would imagine sail area is compared on the basis of 100% foretriangle.
Its suppose to be, however I have seen lots of Nos quoted that use actual sail area.

Quote:
The sloop area is 583 with main 302 jib 281. The cutter has the same main but staysail of 134 and a yankee given variously as 374 or 343 totalling 776-810. Is this because the cutter has the mast further aft so the foretriangle is a bit bigger? Even so that doesn't seem to fit because the yankee looked like say 75% of the foretriangle to me.
My guess is they are including the actual size of the sails, so the cutter measurement effectively includes the overlap.

Quote:
How does one compare sail area on a cutter v a sloop?
Assuming the mast is not moved you effectively have the same area to use irrespective of whether it is a cutter or a sloop. The performance will probably be fairly close. JeffH gives an excelent summary of sloop vs cutter here

Quote:
There is no bowsprit so if the mast is in fact moved back one would expect some some increase in foresail size to balance the boat with the same sized main, but then should you really add in the staysail as well as a larger foresail? The combined difference seems a bit high to me. The boat is a Cabot 36 and the figures come from both the original 1970s specs and the new ones since they have started rebuilding them so there is a possibility of a typo or the sailplan having been changed.
Not familiar with the Cabot 36. Anyone else help?
Ilenart is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheoy Lee Luder's 36 AA3NK Cheoy Lee 33 09-25-2011 10:41 PM
Sailing characteristics of a PSC 31/32 mabugov Pacific Seacraft 12 02-21-2008 04:20 PM
Blue water charateristics Pub911 Sailboat Design and Construction 7 12-10-2007 02:53 PM
Sailboat Characteristics Site. Giulietta General Discussion (sailing related) 25 01-19-2007 11:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome