Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008

blackpearlsailing is an unknown quantity at this point
CS 36 - Endevour 37 A plan

I have a 1982 CS36. I really love this boat, it is the fastest boat under 40' on Lake Texoma. My problem is this, I also love the interior arraingment on the Endevour 37 A plan. We plan to cruise in 5 years and the CS doesn't have near enough storage, and the berthing sucks. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm thinking about ripping out the interior and going back with something along the lines of an Endevour A plan. I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject. I am very capable in the area of glass work and carpentry. And, with over 29 years experience on sailboats, I'm pretty sure I know what I want as far as my interior arraingment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2008

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I have no personal information on the Endeavour 37 other than I k=like the A plan and the sweeping wooden coaming. I do have a boat freind that yells loudly about poor sailing charicteristics because of the keel. Do some research on that before you buy one. As for ripping the interior out, you can get an A plan in a Lancer 36 that was built in the same plant and the A plan was escentially copied. The info on the Lancer 36 is very favorable.
pigslo
Old 05-01-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The interior of the CS36 is largely based on fiberglass liners - while removing it is possible, I suppose,(a la Giu's neighbour) I'd say it would be ill advised. Find out from CS if you can how structural the liner sections are - they are often incorporated into load carrying structures for the rig stresses etc.

Designer Ray Wall is reachable via the CS owners site and is easy to talk to.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-01-2008

Sailingfool,

How imprudent of you to assume anything about my abilities or the moisture content of my dreams. I do agree that the quality of the CS interior is without compare. As for the engineering, yes there was a lot of thought into it as well as a layout that meets the demand of most consumers in 1982. With that said, it is my boat, I love it, it sails better than any I have owned or sailed, and therefore it is my utmost desire to customize it to my needs. Now, your not knowing a thing about me or my future plans has allowed you to make a judgment based solely on one legitimate question I posted here. When you reserve your callous thoughts towards your fellow sailors and listen to what they have to add to a conversation you may learn something. I wonít be a weekend sailor much longer. The CS36T is the boat I want to take off shore because I know it will take me wherever I desire. Although, the berthing leaves a lot to be desired at anchor, and where would you suggest I store enough supplies for voyaging in it? Iím sure that you are a good person, and Iím giving you credit that you may have had a bad day, but please donít insult the people here that have the same love of boats and sailing as I assume you do. If you donít have anything positive to say, or canít answer my question, then do us all the favor of keeping your opinions to your self.
Old 05-02-2008

Faster,

Good advice, I talked to Ray Wall last night. What a pleasure it was to talk to the man who designed such a great boat. The liner/interior is structural and Ray told me he would look at his drawings to see if there was something I could do to get the vee berth more roomy and comfortable. I certainly thank you for your reply as you probably saved me a lot of heart ache.
Old 05-02-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearlsailing View Post
.... I talked to Ray Wall last night. What a pleasure it was to talk to the man who designed such a great boat. The liner/interior is structural and Ray told me he would look at his drawings to see if there was something I could do to get the vee berth more roomy and comfortable. I certainly thank you for your reply as you probably saved me a lot of heart ache.
You're welcome... while we don't own a CS, our boat is originally a Nicholson built design and there are quite a few features/characteristics that Ray must have taken with him from Nicholson when he moved to Canada to start with the CS series. I did call him at one point to see if he had had a hand in the detailing of our boat, but he had long since moved on.

He is indeed a gentleman, gracious and a pleasure to speak with.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-02-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I am guessing you are a CSOA member too? Wilson Yates may be able to help you out too. If you have the time and money, go for it. I have lots of modifications I would like to do to my CS and am not worried about resale as long as they are done well. Good luck.

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-02-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I think that you should be okay as long as you pay attention to maintaining the balance of the boat.... but you probably know that already

Never having looked in the bilge of a CS36 - I am not sure what type of attachment the keel has to the boat. In my CS 30, the bottom of the boat is quite flat and the feel is bolted on at 90 degrees with no filleting or support.

This is one of the primary reasons that I would not spend much time offshore in my boat, as I think the keel could work loose fairly quickly...an area you might want to give some thought to.

Good Luck !
Old 05-05-2008

modifications?

Bestfriend,

What kind of modifications are you planning? I am not worried about resale either, but have given up on the complete re-build of the interior. I have cured my storage problem and now need to find a way of addressing the vee berth for the Mrs.
Old 05-05-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Not to hijack the thread but I am going tomorrow to look at a CS 36T that is for sale in Fl. I would appreciate any comments from the 4 CS owners here that have one. I have a funny feeling we will all become good friends here if this boat proves out what the broker has told me about her.
Question. Why does the Mrs not like the V-berth? Blackpearlsailing.