SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   I am rebuilding a 1977 morgan I/O -28 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/43734-i-am-rebuilding-1977-morgan-i-o-28-a.html)

antiguustima 06-01-2008 01:46 PM

I am rebuilding a 1977 morgan I/O -28

I 'm rebuilding a 1977 Morgan 28 Out/Islander.The boat is completely row,i am trying to find a manual for this boat but i cannot. I need the electric and pluming plans. Any one could help?
The one boat I find has the kitchen in the center of the hall ,my has it on the AFT of the boat.
thanks' for any help I can get
Best Regards:)

MMR 06-01-2008 01:50 PM

Morgan 28 for sale, sailboats for sale, used sailboats

like that?

sailingdog 06-02-2008 04:12 PM

Chances are pretty good that the electrical system and plumbing have been modified in the past 30 years, so having a manual may not be all that useful. I'd highly recommend looking at the plumbing and wiring yourself.

Also, if the galley isn't in the position it was originally, there's a good chance that it was a modification by a previous owner.

srbigham 07-02-2011 05:25 PM

Me Too!

5 Attachment(s)
I'm going thru the same motions as you. Rebuilding/remodeling a 74 OI28. Where my galley runs down the starboard beam. I'd like to see your galley layout. Could you send me some photos of yours? I have original wiring diagrams from Morgan. Give me a day and Ill scan and post them on this thread. They are not very impressive drawings but it's what my dad got from Morgan back in the day.

CaptainForce 07-02-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiguustima (Post 322751)
I 'm rebuilding a 1977 Morgan 28 Out/Islander.................

First, get the name right. There is a vessel called an Islander, but yours and mine is an Out Island,- no "er". When your looking at the portlight gaskets check out Griffith Rubber Mills in Portland, Oregon. They have the extrusion and locking gaskets for those rubber portlight seals. Of course, you may wish to alter the original design and have the lexan plates larger than the opening as many have done, with them fastened to the 'glass. Please contact me with any concerns. Among the Morgan OI's galleys were commonly placed in the quarter and along the side of the main cabin in all the designs. There were many original variations and your galley placement is probably original. My wife and I have lived aboard and cruised Morgan Out Islands continually since 1973. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

srbigham 07-02-2011 08:44 PM

Here's the electrical +

5 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

These are the electricals that I have. I hope they help. I've also included the Sail Data that was offered by Morgan.

I have other data but it is not scanned yet. Let me know if you need other things, I'll see if its in my stack.

Steve Bigham
Nepenthe MOI 28

srbigham 07-02-2011 08:47 PM

More images

4 Attachment(s)
More images

CaptainForce 07-02-2011 09:11 PM

Srbigham, Thanks for the scanned pages. They are of the same font and layout as my original pages on the 1973 OI 33' that I bought new in '73 and like the info for my current 1973 OI 41'. They are definitely the originals.

srbigham 07-02-2011 09:38 PM

You like your Morgan

It seems that you Like that year and the Out Island Series. This one has been in the family since 1980 and as witnessed from the images needs work. I would appreciate any input and foresight that you may have on the design on these hulls. ie; areas that would need special attention. I have had others provide input in the negative form concerning the OI series and would like to hear something more constructive. Thanks.

Steve Bigham
Nepenthe MOI 28

CaptainForce 07-03-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srbigham (Post 746499)
It seems that you Like that year and the Out Island Series..............'would like to hear something more constructive. Thanks.

Steve Bigham
Nepenthe MOI 28

"quaff oh quaff that kind nepenthe and forget the lost Lenore, Quoth the raven, nevermore"

Here's a list of some concerns that many people with early Morgan Out Islands have refit, repaired or altered:

1. Many have found a delamination of the port and starboard rudder halves that began with a hairline crack and water intrusion. A common fix has been to fare a fiberglass tabbing over the seam. Some, like myself, have had to split and rebuild the rudder.
2. There has been a frequent problem with corrosion where the aluminum mast is stepped on a steel step. Many have replaced or sealed the step from contact with the aluminum.
3. Some have found the back-up plate under the forestay at the stem corroded or the hull deck joint at this location stressed. Some have placed a stainless plate outside the leading edge of the bow remove the force of the headstay from the hull deck joint.
4. I think that by 1977 all the hull-deck joints were moved up to the toe rail instead of the rub rail. Those with the joint at the rub rail need to be wary of damage. Many have had rennovations of the rub rail.
5. Portlight leaks with the failing of the rubber gasket systems are common. Many have refit the portlights with after market products or used oversized polycarbonate plates fastened over the openings.
6. Water intrusion in the balsa cored deck has commonly caused a comestic problem with soft spots on the deck. I have had success by cutting away the top layer of the deck with a rotary tool and removing the damp balsa and replacing it with a composite like Devinylcel (or similar spelling).

I've also completed the expected replacements that would be common for any boat of this age,- fuel tanks, pumps, engines, electronics, rigging, sails, galley stove, etc. Take care and joy, Aythya crew