Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
Looking for ideas to replace a section taken out

Hi Everybody

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster here. I've found the resources on this site invaluable and extremely useful in my pre-sailing and now beginning of the second year of sailing for me.

I have a 25 foot US yacht made by bayliner and it's done quite well for me so far. I recently had it out of the water to redo the bottom paint and stick a new engine on the back, all is well. Unfortunately the last owner, or the owner before them put in a knot meter in the wall between the cockpit and the cabin on the port side and didn't seal it well. I'm thinking that for the last 10 years or so it's slowly been leaking water into the boat and essentially rotting out the plywood that made up a little chart table that was on the inside just below it.

Since it was rotting out and falling off I ended up tearing it out and taking out as much of the rotten plywood as I could. Lotsa work.

But anyways, on to the reason I'm posting. I'm hoping the more experienced can give me a bit of advice on what to do with this location now. There is a large seat area there and the previous chart table doubled as the backrest for the seat. It had a compartment area underneath it that you could pull the table part up a bit and place stuff in it but that made it come down a bit low and when you slept there it was hard to turn over because your feet would get a bit stuck on it turning around vertically.

I sort of want another chart table there with a bit of a cubby in it like before but don't want the low overhead it makes for feet when sleeping. Maybe it can also hinge upwards a bit and tie off on a chain or something? I'm not sure and I just don't have all that much experience at the moment to know exactly what I would want there.

So after all that, the question is: what would be a good item to replace the chart table with that would be able to be used also as a back rest for the seating area that is there (the normal table is just forward of that and then another bench on the other side of it)?

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice for this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
graeme-

It would help if you posted photos of the boat's interior. You'll probably want to post the photos to Flickr.com or another photosharing site and then link to them. However, if you do that, you'll need 10 posts minimum to post the links. Also, read the POST in my signature, as it has a fair bit of useful information regarding sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Island Packet uses hinged nav tables on some of their models for extra room. Works quite nicely. You can get ideas from their online site. Try looking at the 40' model for a start. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2008
seeker

feetup is on a distinguished road
I have the same boat, and it had the same problem. I raised everything enough to clear my feet, and epoxy glassed better support to keep everything from sagging like the original. I had found that the space between the backrest and the table at this point was too large to be comfortable so I extended it three inches with a small box-like section that simply continues the lines of the tray foward. I then made up a chart table, hinged at the back so nav gear and charts can slip inside, and the extension makes a perfect little tray for pencils, rulers dividers etc. The top has a lip on the foward edge so that stuff doesn't slide off. I do my nav/chart work on my knees on the setee, with my butt half perched on the table. It's actually quite comfortable. The top doesn't swing all the way open but enough to get stuff in and out. I mounted it with a loose pin piano hinge so it was removable for cleaning.
There is a small site dedicated to US yachts; DIY Sailor, US Yachts owners group

I'll post photos of the tray there in the next few weeks.

Feetup
Old 06-17-2008

Thanks for the responses everybody!

As requested, here is a pic of the before:
IMG_3592

You can see the whole shelf area for the chart table is sagging on the right hand side.

Sailingdog, my apologies if I posted wrongly. I did try to provide as much info as possible. I'll take a look in your link to see more info on how to post.

funsail, that's an idea I had too. A hinged table might be handy! I'll look into that idea.

feetup, wow! Thanks for that link. I'll be looking around there today. I fully agree on the backrest being too far back in the original design. I too would want it to come out a bit more. Sounds like you solved all the problems I'd like to solve! I'd definitely like to see your pictures of it when you can post them.

Thanks again for the input so far
Old 06-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Graeme-

You didn't post wrongly... NO worries.

A nav table that folded up against the bulkhead would be nice and not that complicated to build.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-19-2008

stu9000 is on a distinguished road
Just been getting into fibreglassing myself.

These sites sent me good starter kits

cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/300gm_CSM.html
epoxy-resins.co.uk/

Your shelf looks like a good practise project. Theres guides on how to epoxy on You Tube etc.

Im having a ball doing up my Miracle.
Old 07-04-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
For the spot of the knotmeter, you can install a small hatch or lightport...

Aluminum table pedestal system is bit weak, that's the reason of sagging... You can install a support bar beneath the table or from pedestal to the end of the table...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 07-10-2008

Thanks merttan, I ended up putting the dead knotmeter back in.. I did look around at a hatch/lightport but didn't find anything I really liked. Figured I'd think on it for a while and filled the hole back in with the knotmeter. At least now it doesn't leak anymore.

I've managed to take out the whole table and have an idea to put a replacement in that will be more like a drawer so I can move it out of the way when sleeping. I'll post again when I have it moving forward. I do have pictures of the fix I've put in place, I'll post those later with explanations of what I did.

Thanks again everybody for your thoughts.
Old 07-26-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Graeme, build one from quality plywood, stain it then polyurethane it over, that would hold for years to come unless the plywood was moist when you started...
If you can send me a picture, I'd give you an idea about a replacement...
If you want folding use full backing instead of point hinges...
If you want slide in, epoxy resin the edges where the friction would occur...
Send me some pic and I'll try to help you in my best capability...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.