SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   Rebuilding 22' Sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/44596-rebuilding-22-sailboat.html)

JamesSea 07-01-2008 02:10 PM

Rebuilding 22' Sailboat

Hey everyone.

My situation is this : I acquired a sailboat. It's a 22' Sailstar from the late 60's/early 70's.

I've never rebuilt a boat, but I figured I could do so since I've rebuilt cars, motorcycles and many other large projects that I had little experience with at the time of their start. I also sail pretty regularly, but the boats are provided fo rme by the community boating program here in boston, so maintenance or structural knowledge is really not taught.

I figured I'd come on here for some advice. So far I've removed the vertical back section and the deck. I've removed the filler styrofoam as it was heavily deteriorated and soaking wet. I stripped the inside of the cabin as well. So basically what I've got is a fiberglass hull with a keel and centerboard.

My questions are these : What do I do now? Do I replace that styrofome? What kind of plywood do I use to replace the decking? How do I fix the keel?

Any advice would be amazing. Thanks guys!

sailingdog 07-01-2008 02:24 PM

You should get Don Casey's book, "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair". It should have enough information to get you through this. Also, check with the Epoxyworks.com website.

Yes, you need to replace the styrofoam, which was probably there to add positive flotation to the boat. You should get some Airex or Divinylcell polyurethane foam to use, since both are commonly used as core materials in boat building.

If the deck was cored, it can be re-built using Airex or Divinylcell or end-grain balsa. It doesn't have to be re-built using plywood. The boat will be stronger and lighter if you use one of the foams or end-grain balsa as well. :)

What is wrong with the keel??

DO you have photos?? If so, you'll need to have ten posts before you can really post photos. The forum's internal photo posting system is pretty useless, so I generally recommend getting a photobucket or flickr account and using that...

ALso, read the post in my signature to help you get the most out of your time on sailnet.

Finally, where about in the Boston area are you. I'm local to that area, and sail out of Buzzards Bay.

JamesSea 07-01-2008 02:38 PM

Hi Sailingdog,

Thanks for the reply. I do, in fact, have pictures and I'll upload them to my flickr account tonight.

The info you gave me has already been a big help and I look forward to stealing more of your knowledge. : )

The keel looks like it's just a bit banged up and the metal sheath is corroded and split. Also, the boat has a centerboard that drops down. I'm unsure of how functional that's going to be.

I'll definitely pick up the book you recommended.

As for where I live, I'm actually on the South Shore and I know Buzzard's Bay pretty well. My friend has a cottage down there where we do some power-boating and whatnot. I mentioned Boston as that's where I started and continue to sail.

Please check back tonight and hopefully I'll have those pictures posted.

Thanks again!

sailingdog 07-01-2008 04:01 PM

James-

You'll need to head over to the song thread and make seven posts or so... since you need a minimum of 10 posts to link to external photo sites. :)

CalebD 07-01-2008 09:43 PM

Uh, if you do get repair the boat you will want the centerboard to be functional. Is the Sailstar made by Bristol (which has a good reputation) or another mfr'er?
Boat's of that age tend to have pretty thick hulls (if fiberglass) as they did not really know how little they could use. Laminate technology has also come a long way since the late 60's. That said, my Tartan 27' is from 1967 and still floats and sails.

JamesSea 07-02-2008 05:07 PM

Hey Sailingdog, or anyone else,

I need to pick up some sheets of marine plywood. Anyone know where I can get that around the Boston or South Shore, MA area?

Also, for fiberglassing I have a West Systems catalogue. Is this a good way to go? And which products work best?

Thanks guys and gals.

Jeff_H 07-03-2008 07:07 AM

WEST System makes very good products. I actually prefer to use MAS epoxy which is less likely to induce alergies and which does not produce an amine blush.www.masepoxy.com MAS has a hotline that allows you talk directly to people who really know there stuff.

Jeff

sailingdog 07-03-2008 12:39 PM

As JeffH said, System Three and MAS epoxies are blush-free and less likely to cause allergic reactions, since the amine blush seems to be the biggest culprit in causing contact dermatitis. :)

Don't know anyone that carries Marine Plywood at a reasonable price locally.

soulesailor 07-03-2008 05:10 PM

I'm not sure how far away this is from you and they're not cheap but they do have great plywood

BoulterPlywood.com....

sailingdog 07-03-2008 05:35 PM

Somerville is right next to boston...so it's a good recommendation. I'm going to have to go there myself. :)