Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008

JamesSea is on a distinguished road
Rebuilding 22' Sailboat

Hey everyone.

My situation is this : I acquired a sailboat. It's a 22' Sailstar from the late 60's/early 70's.

I've never rebuilt a boat, but I figured I could do so since I've rebuilt cars, motorcycles and many other large projects that I had little experience with at the time of their start. I also sail pretty regularly, but the boats are provided fo rme by the community boating program here in boston, so maintenance or structural knowledge is really not taught.

I figured I'd come on here for some advice. So far I've removed the vertical back section and the deck. I've removed the filler styrofoam as it was heavily deteriorated and soaking wet. I stripped the inside of the cabin as well. So basically what I've got is a fiberglass hull with a keel and centerboard.

My questions are these : What do I do now? Do I replace that styrofome? What kind of plywood do I use to replace the decking? How do I fix the keel?

Any advice would be amazing. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should get Don Casey's book, "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair". It should have enough information to get you through this. Also, check with the Epoxyworks.com website.

Yes, you need to replace the styrofoam, which was probably there to add positive flotation to the boat. You should get some Airex or Divinylcell polyurethane foam to use, since both are commonly used as core materials in boat building.

If the deck was cored, it can be re-built using Airex or Divinylcell or end-grain balsa. It doesn't have to be re-built using plywood. The boat will be stronger and lighter if you use one of the foams or end-grain balsa as well.

What is wrong with the keel??

DO you have photos?? If so, you'll need to have ten posts before you can really post photos. The forum's internal photo posting system is pretty useless, so I generally recommend getting a photobucket or flickr account and using that...

ALso, read the post in my signature to help you get the most out of your time on sailnet.

Finally, where about in the Boston area are you. I'm local to that area, and sail out of Buzzards Bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-01-2008

Hi Sailingdog,

Thanks for the reply. I do, in fact, have pictures and I'll upload them to my flickr account tonight.

The info you gave me has already been a big help and I look forward to stealing more of your knowledge. : )

The keel looks like it's just a bit banged up and the metal sheath is corroded and split. Also, the boat has a centerboard that drops down. I'm unsure of how functional that's going to be.

I'll definitely pick up the book you recommended.

As for where I live, I'm actually on the South Shore and I know Buzzard's Bay pretty well. My friend has a cottage down there where we do some power-boating and whatnot. I mentioned Boston as that's where I started and continue to sail.

Please check back tonight and hopefully I'll have those pictures posted.

Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
James-

You'll need to head over to the song thread and make seven posts or so... since you need a minimum of 10 posts to link to external photo sites.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-01-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Uh, if you do get repair the boat you will want the centerboard to be functional. Is the Sailstar made by Bristol (which has a good reputation) or another mfr'er?
Boat's of that age tend to have pretty thick hulls (if fiberglass) as they did not really know how little they could use. Laminate technology has also come a long way since the late 60's. That said, my Tartan 27' is from 1967 and still floats and sails.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-02-2008

Hey Sailingdog, or anyone else,

I need to pick up some sheets of marine plywood. Anyone know where I can get that around the Boston or South Shore, MA area?

Also, for fiberglassing I have a West Systems catalogue. Is this a good way to go? And which products work best?

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 07-03-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
WEST System makes very good products. I actually prefer to use MAS epoxy which is less likely to induce alergies and which does not produce an amine blush.www.masepoxy.com MAS has a hotline that allows you talk directly to people who really know there stuff.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

As JeffH said, System Three and MAS epoxies are blush-free and less likely to cause allergic reactions, since the amine blush seems to be the biggest culprit in causing contact dermatitis.

Don't know anyone that carries Marine Plywood at a reasonable price locally.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-03-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how far away this is from you and they're not cheap but they do have great plywood

BoulterPlywood.com....

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

Somerville is right next to boston...so it's a good recommendation. I'm going to have to go there myself.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.