SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

1979 Moragn Starrett rudder

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  williamsmoot 
#1 ·
I have bought a 1979 Morgan Starrett sloop, 46' and was wondering if anyone had drawings and measurements of what the rudder looks like? I was told that the previous owner had reduced the size of the rudder on this boat:for some unknown reason. Thanks

#2 ·
These boats had a variety of rudder designs. The original design was a race boat that had a fin keel with an attached rudder. The design was altered to a shallower draft, and the rudder was shortened at the same time. I looked at one out of the water that had a shoal draft fin keel that was different than the original design and which has a skeg hung rudder. The owner went with this design because of balance and handling problems that he experienced on a friend's Starratt with the attached rudder. I also saw one that had a post hung rudder that was apparently salvaged off of different boat.

I may still have original factory literature on these boats from the 1970's. I'll need to check my files.

By the way, as a Moderator on this forum, I want to point out that posts like these should be in 'Gear and Maintenance' or else in 'Buying a Boat'. This particular forum was specifically intended for generic discussions of the pros and cons of various aspects of Sailboat Design and Technology.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.