SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   routing outhaul and topping lift (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/45150-routing-outhaul-topping-lift.html)

terryjoe 07-20-2008 11:02 AM

routing outhaul and topping lift

My boat (1975 Irwin 33 st sloop Mk2) currently has it's outhaul and topping lift mounted on the port side of the boom. My question is: Is it possible to somehow manage to redesign this so the controls can be routed to the cockpit or am I stuck with going up on deck to make these adjustments?

Thanks for your input!

sailingdog 07-20-2008 11:28 PM

Yes, you should be able to re-design the system so that you can run the outhaul and topping lift to the cockpit. Do you have photos of the current system, since that would make it far easier to understand what you've got to deal with to begin with, and how it needs to be modified. BTW, most outhauls have an internal block and tackle in the boom, which can often be removed if you're leading the lines aft to a winch.

RichP 07-21-2008 09:27 AM

Yes, you will need blocks to route the ropes back to the cockpit to an appropriate cleat or clutch. Without photos we can't help you route them, its best to get a sheet of paper, draw out your existing layout and then plan the route, making sure that it won't cause future problems.

sailingfool 07-21-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryjoe (Post 343638)
My boat (1975 Irwin 33 st sloop Mk2) currently has it's outhaul and topping lift mounted on the port side of the boom. My question is: Is it possible to somehow manage to redesign this so the controls can be routed to the cockpit or am I stuck with going up on deck to make these adjustments?

Thanks for your input!

Just curious, why bother to make these changes? Many topping lifts can be set so they don't need to be adjusted at all. At worst both topping lift and outhaul only need adjustment heading out and shutting down. Even a serious racer typically only adjusts the outhaul on different legs...a little overkill here?

Classic30 07-22-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 344010)
Just curious, why bother to make these changes? Many topping lifts can be set so they don't need to be adjusted at all. At worst both topping lift and outhaul only need adjustment heading out and shutting down. Even a serious racer typically only adjusts the outhaul on different legs...a little overkill here?

SF, that's a good point, but..

Depending on the set-up, it's kinda handy to be able to adjust the outhaul from the cockpit.. you don't need to send anyone to the mast when it's rough and blowing a full gale just to stop the boom falling into the cockpit when reefing. ;)

sailingdog 07-22-2008 07:26 AM

It's more handy to be able to adjust the topping lift from the cockpit, since that's what holds the boom up. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 344310)
SF, that's a good point, but..

Depending on the set-up, it's kinda handy to be able to adjust the outhaul from the cockpit.. you don't need to send anyone to the mast when it's rough and blowing a full gale just to stop the boom falling into the cockpit when reefing. ;)

Besides, if you've got the main halyard, topping lift and reefing lines all led back to the cockpit, it is a bit silly not to have the outhaul lead aft too, since when you're raising or lowering the main, you generally want to adjust the outhaul.:D:D

chucklesR 07-22-2008 07:59 AM

Is not an outhaul, and even a topping lift that is on the boom reachable from the cockpit already?
Not trying to be too obtuse, but seems to me the reason they call it a boom is it is eminently reachable from the cockpit by hands if not heads.

I'm no racer, so for me I set the outhaul about once per season - mid line on tension. Topping lift I adjust on raising and lowering the main only - and mine is right there next to the main halyard on the mast.

sailingdog 07-22-2008 08:20 AM

Chuckles-

You should probably ease the outhaul when you're have the main sail down, since it may stretch out the foot of the sail a bit otherwise.

You generally need to tension the outhaul more if you're sailing in heavier winds, ease it a bit when sailing in lighter winds. Tensioning the outhaul makes the sail flatter...easing it gives the sail a bit more power by making it fuller.

One of the main reasons I led my outhaul aft was to have better control over the main sail's shape. I regularly sail in SCA type weather, and being able to flatten the main helps a lot. Also, the two-to-one tackle in the boom really didn't give me enough leverage on the outhaul... now I have an ST40 winch to use. :) Much easier to adjust the tension.

sailingfool 07-22-2008 08:28 AM

FWIW I set my topping lift at the beginning of the season by ensuring a little slack when the main is trimmed close-hauled, then forget about it until time to remove the boom at the end of the season...
I guess if your boom droops over the cockpit when closehauled so there is no headroom you may want to tension the topping lift after dropping the main...but I bet many people release and tension the topping lift each time out without thinking about what they are doing.

sailingdog 07-22-2008 08:39 AM

Sailingfool-

I generally ease the topping lift when sailing since the mainsail on my boat has a fairly large roach and battens. I will tension it to support the boom when I'm raising, lowering or reefing the main, and then ease it again afterwards. I wish I could just leave it at one setting, but that isn't an option really.