Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008

Lbjordal is on a distinguished road
Too much keelweight how to remove?

Hi

Bought a 20` Sunwind a few years ago as first sailboat, the boat was not in the best of states, but we sailed it and learnd. The previous owner had "improved" the boat by adding weight to the keel, however, when the boat is on the water the waterline is all wrong. Even with an empty cockpit and me 115 kg at the pulpit she doesnt float right.

Well, last year we bought a larger boat (Sun Legend 41`) but I still want to fix this one. Any idea how to go about it? I`m thinking of drilling some holes into the extended keel to see what it`s filled with

Let me know if the images are too large
The black line indicates the original keel lenght
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hard to tell from the pix but is the keel a bolt on or encapsulated? If a bolt on, I'd be inclined to simply remove some lead from the bottom rather than mess with the whole structure. If encapasulated, it is a much bigger job to reduce the mass and rebuild the structure in a safe way.
Old 08-03-2008

Guess, the boat is not going on the water this summer then

The keel is encapasulated, What worries me most is what has been done where the extension meets the hull. The one good thing is that whoever modified the boat did a rather sloppy job at hiding the mod. Hopefully he never removed any of the original "capsule."
Old 08-03-2008

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I hate to point out the obvious but why not return it back to original by removing the modification?
pigslo
Old 08-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I agree with Pigslo... remove the bastard addition.... anyone with half a brain or more would realize that adding to the keel the way he did would not only make the boat aft heavy, but shift the center of lateral resistance aft...giving the boat more helm problems than you can shake a stick at. Does the boat have significant lee helm issues? If not, I'd be very surprised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-06-2008

@sailingdog

Well we didn`t know better, but yes I suppose it had "issues." However at the time I was more worried about the water wich was flooding thru the drains and into my shoes
Old 08-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not an unreasonable decision to worry more about water pouring in via the drains...since the boat is aft heavy... than to worry about helm balance issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjordal View Post
@sailingdog

Well we didn`t know better, but yes I suppose it had "issues." However at the time I was more worried about the water wich was flooding thru the drains and into my shoes

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-06-2008

Well, started the work today.

Figuerd I best drill a hole somewhere in the keel to know a little more about the construction.

It`s wonderfull how such things seem to always happen to mee
Old 08-06-2008

Well, next step:
This is why you dont use concrete in the keel, it was soaked.

I`m not shure what to do next, I was hoping to find the original keel somewhere in there, but no luck. After removing some concrete this is how it looks. I`m pretty shure the boat is still to heavy. I have removed like 40l of water and maybe 25 kg of wet concrete. I`am considering just putting it back together and find myself a new boat. Any adwise as to how I best should repair the holes I have made?

Old 08-06-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Need more info - surely there's a ballast pig forward in the original keel?