Changing a V-Cleat to a C-Cleat? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-20-2008 Thread Starter
A New Adventurer

Changing a V-Cleat to a C-Cleat?

I ran a search for "cleat", "changing cleats, " and "v-cleat", but turned up nothing that helped.... I tried!

I just bought my first boat... a 1998 Hunter 240. It seems to be a great beginner boat for my wife and me, but I've already found an issue. The V-cleat for the jib will not hold the sheet. We tack, pull in the jib, try to lock the sheet in and BANG, it's out flapping in the wind. After researching this online, I see it is a common issue with this years Hunters. The answer seems to be replacing the worthless v-cleat with a cam cleat.

Problem I have is trying to figure out how to do this without creating holes in my new-to-me boat. The V-cleats run lengthwise and the cams are sideways. How is this fixed? Is there a plate I can buy that will hold the cam cleat in the same holes that are there for the V cleat?

I know there has to be a simple answer, but after looking and looking, I'm out of ideas.

Thank you,

Matt Johnson
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-20-2008
Seinor Member

Smile You have two Choices

You can either make a mounting plate out of a piece of stainless. Drill the holes to fit the the V-cleat mount and then drill holes for the cam cleat. Not real hard to do. You could also fill the old holes with Marine Tex and drill new ones. The Marine Tex will not be quite the same color but probably close enough. It is quick and easy to do and after a little sanding you will probably be the only one that notices them.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
post #3 of 12 Old 08-20-2008 Thread Starter
A New Adventurer

Would the Marine Tex be as strong as the original fiberglass? I do not want to weaken the deck.

Last edited by funjohnson; 08-20-2008 at 04:18 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

Unless you're using a large expanse of Marine-tex, you're not going to significantly weaken the deck by using it. The holes can be safely and easily filled using MT...

Just FYI—The "v-cleats" are actually called clam cleats.

The ones I have pictured are ones with an integrated fairlead.

Would also recommend you read the post in my signature... to get the most out of your time here on sailnet. Welcome to the asylum.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-20-2008 Thread Starter
A New Adventurer

Thanks for that info. Do you have any cam cleats you would recommend? Are there any bad ones?

That explains why I was not able to find much by searching "v-cleat"
post #6 of 12 Old 08-20-2008
I don't discuss my member

Just make sure they'll accept your size sheets.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|118&id=295771

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"

Last edited by zz4gta; 08-20-2008 at 04:51 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

I'm a big fan of these. LINK

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-20-2008 Thread Starter
A New Adventurer

You guys are awesome! I'm about to order the cam cleats listed. This should be a great project for the holiday weekend.

Thanks again,

Matt
post #9 of 12 Old 08-20-2008
Seinor Member

Yep the DOG

and I are on the same page. Those are good cleats the the Dog picked out.

Here in windy and wet North Florida

Fair WInds

Cap'n Dave
post #10 of 12 Old 08-20-2008

A neat trick for patching the screw holes left behind - use a old fashioned razor as your putty knife, it is so smooth you can get away without sanding as the razor is smooth on it's edge.

Use either finger nail polish remover or acetone (the active ingredient to polish remover) and a q tip to wipe/scrub away the Marine tex that isn't part of the hole. I'd put tape around the hole to limit the clean up.
No one but you will know it's there.

But you'll always know

You will need to look to where the current clam cleat is fastened, is it simply screwed in, or is it mounted with bolts etc.. that might entail removing the liner from the cabin/getting under the cockpit coaming. If it's simply screwed in now you and you can get to the underside go ahead and upgrade to a bolt with a big finder washer to offer more support.
Assuming you normally take a few wraps around a winch and the cleat is simply to hold the line it might not take much to hold it, but bigger is always better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.