SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Changing a V-Cleat to a C-Cleat?

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  funjohnson 
#1 ·
I ran a search for "cleat", "changing cleats, " and "v-cleat", but turned up nothing that helped.... I tried!

I just bought my first boat... a 1998 Hunter 240. It seems to be a great beginner boat for my wife and me, but I've already found an issue. The V-cleat for the jib will not hold the sheet. We tack, pull in the jib, try to lock the sheet in and BANG, it's out flapping in the wind. After researching this online, I see it is a common issue with this years Hunters. The answer seems to be replacing the worthless v-cleat with a cam cleat.

Problem I have is trying to figure out how to do this without creating holes in my new-to-me boat. The V-cleats run lengthwise and the cams are sideways. How is this fixed? Is there a plate I can buy that will hold the cam cleat in the same holes that are there for the V cleat?

I know there has to be a simple answer, but after looking and looking, I'm out of ideas.

Thank you,

Matt Johnson

#2 ·
You have two Choices

You can either make a mounting plate out of a piece of stainless. Drill the holes to fit the the V-cleat mount and then drill holes for the cam cleat. Not real hard to do. You could also fill the old holes with Marine Tex and drill new ones. The Marine Tex will not be quite the same color but probably close enough. It is quick and easy to do and after a little sanding you will probably be the only one that notices them.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave

#4 ·
Unless you're using a large expanse of Marine-tex, you're not going to significantly weaken the deck by using it. The holes can be safely and easily filled using MT...

Just FYI-The "v-cleats" are actually called clam cleats.

The ones I have pictured are ones with an integrated fairlead. :)

Would also recommend you read the post in my signature... to get the most out of your time here on sailnet. Welcome to the asylum.

#7 ·
I'm a big fan of these. LINK

#10 ·
A neat trick for patching the screw holes left behind - use a old fashioned razor as your putty knife, it is so smooth you can get away without sanding as the razor is smooth on it's edge.

Use either finger nail polish remover or acetone (the active ingredient to polish remover) and a q tip to wipe/scrub away the Marine tex that isn't part of the hole. I'd put tape around the hole to limit the clean up.
No one but you will know it's there.

But you'll always know :)

You will need to look to where the current clam cleat is fastened, is it simply screwed in, or is it mounted with bolts etc.. that might entail removing the liner from the cabin/getting under the cockpit coaming. If it's simply screwed in now you and you can get to the underside go ahead and upgrade to a bolt with a big finder washer to offer more support.
Assuming you normally take a few wraps around a winch and the cleat is simply to hold the line it might not take much to hold it, but bigger is always better.

#11 ·
If you're going to use Chuckles's Razor blade as putty knife trick, do yourself a big favor and round off the corners of the blade. It will go a long way to preventing the blade from digging in and gouging the gelcoat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.