Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008

dodgydingo is on a distinguished road
Propane locker & lines

I need some help fixing the propane locker on my Hunter 33 I just purchased.
The existing locker is pretty small (approx 12" circular) in the back of the cockpit as a dropin. It sits in the the corner next to the lazarett/seat you would sit on while manning the wheel.

The locker has a hole in it where the owner ran copper pipe into the boat but never closed the hole up.

My choices/question is should I a) live with the current locker and patch the hole with fiberglass. b) Leave the propane tank above the locker, exposed, somehow fastened to the pushpit. c) can i buy a premade locker from westmarine and place it inside my starboard cockpit locker..it would fit, but is it safe, even if proper draining is setup. d)do you have other ideas on how to upgrade the size of the propane on a boat with very little space.

Another idea.. the seat while steering the boat is a lazarette.. should I convert that to a propane locker.. it would be a shame to lose that storage area.

I will try to post pictures tonight to better illustrate.

Thanks,
Robin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If the hole for the copper line is high in the locker space i.e. near the top of the locker, then it's not a major concern as long as the locker is fitted with a proper above-the-waterline overboard drain at the bottom. Propane is heavier than air and any leakage would settle at the bottom and drain away.

For ease of mind you might find a rubber grommet that would fit tightly around your copper line and also fit into the hole in the fiberglass, it would look cleaner and seal that spot.

Since it's a dedicated propane locker, I see no need to store your tank elsewhere and lose other valuable storage space, or to have the tank exposed unnecessarily.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-28-2008

Ive posted photos of my propane locker situation.

Also, I went to west marine and they didn't seem to have any propane tanks that would fit this locker, and the tank that came with the boat looks a bit rough. Any idea where I can a new one?
Old 08-28-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I kinda like that locker. I was going to convert my whole rear locker into a propane/gas locker since it is above the waterline. I figured that in the back locker on my boat i could put 2 of the new fibreglass tanks and still have plenty of room for other stuff. After seeing the way your locker is it got me to thinking about it. I could install something like that in the seats of my cockpit right behind the opening for the lockers. One on each side of the boat. That would keep my aft locker clear and use some space that is hard to use right now.

As for your problem, fibreglass the hole shut and get a fibreglass tank.
Clear, Fiberglass 20-Lb Propane Cylinder Tank
That one is about 12'' around and holds 20#. Thats what i plan on useing on my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 08-28-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Wow, that's quite the butcher job on the cutout...too bad.

I'd repair the locker wall - reglass it and fit a proper seal around the propane line after relocating it higher in the locker wall. I'd also consider going to approved propane hose - easier to route and probably fewer connections.

That hole is so large and so low that IMO it's not a safe installation as is.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second Faster's suggestion...that really isn't safe...and would let a lot of propane into your boat if your tank rusted out...which looks like the case.

I'd second getting composite tanks, they're a lot better in the marine environment than steel or aluminum ones. The 16# tanks I recently got were relatively cheap too... and measure about 12" D x 18.5" H. Got two of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2008

I am leaning towards inserting a prebuilt locker into the lazarette next to it as I will be able to use a much larger tank and have all new fittings including a pressure gauge which the old locker doesnt have.
How would I secure the locker inside the lazarette.. If I screw a bracket along the bottom sides, wouldnt that compromise the box.. or would sealant solve that.
Also since I will be using a T junction to split to two lines (one for stove, and another for the furnace) how would I get a 3rd for a bbq in the future. Is it okay to run a second T junction right after the first.
Old 08-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Provided the screws are properly bedded and gas-tight, the screws won't really compromise the box. If you're really worried about it... bolt the bracket to the locker, and then glass over the nuts on the interior. However, you would have to run a gas-tight hose from the exit vent of the locker to a through-hull to make the gas vent overboard, as is prudent and required by ABYC code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgydingo View Post
I am leaning towards inserting a prebuilt locker into the lazarette next to it as I will be able to use a much larger tank and have all new fittings including a pressure gauge which the old locker doesnt have.
How would I secure the locker inside the lazarette.. If I screw a bracket along the bottom sides, wouldnt that compromise the box.. or would sealant solve that.
Also since I will be using a T junction to split to two lines (one for stove, and another for the furnace) how would I get a 3rd for a bbq in the future. Is it okay to run a second T junction right after the first.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-29-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I'm currently installing a little pre-built locker in my little Liberty 28 cutter. Got one off of Ebay directly from the manufacturer for $100 cheaper than anything advertised at the boat stores. The only hassle is getting the work done in tight quarters! I also need to put in a little 5/8" dedicated through-hull for the vent.

Just as an FYI, the on/off switch for the solenoid I'm using is an electrical timer switch to which I've added a small red LED to indicate when the circuit is active. The timer shuts of the gas at a predetermined time should I forget to turn it off manually. Cost was $18 total!! I also got a CO/Propane detector for $40 that runs off shorepower.

Good-luck with your install!

Steve
Old 09-06-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgydingo View Post
Also, I went to west marine and they didn't seem to have any propane tanks that would fit this locker, and the tank that came with the boat looks a bit rough. Any idea where I can a new one?

Why don't you post the dimensions of your locker.

It might be made for a 4 lb tank which you can buy at Defender.