Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hunter Bashing

As I sit on my boat next to me in my shared double slip sits a Hunter Passage 42.

Now I have literally spent several hours nursing a beer or three just looking at that boat sitting there all quite in the water and for the life of me I can't see where all the hub bub in bashing these boats comes from.

I see windows and hatches that arnt maybe suited for offshore work and forward winch placement that is fouled by a dodger but the latter can hardly be pawned off on the boat builder. But all in all I see a boat that appeals to part of me.

Comparing several other brands in my marina there are definitely sleek low windage rockets and higher windage condos on the water if you will but that is a usage choice not a bashing point. So I dont get it.

I see numerous good to great ideas or at least they appear to be great ideas. I really really like the way the shrouds enter the boat in what appears to be a machined SS massive anchor point which looks easy to seal and maintain for water intrusion and basicly looks bulletproof and belonging on a Hinckley.. I see an innovative arch and traveler approach to keep all that junk up and out of the way, here again you racer types will want a boom sweeping at your kneecaps to harness every ounce of energy from the wind but I'm not talking in thoes comparisons here. Im wanting to know where all this hatred from what seems to me to be a fine boat for its intended use comes from.

I see what looks like well if not over built spreader attachments and also well thought out in mast turning blocks at deck level to run internally led halyards aft ..whats not to like there?

I see a roller furler thats drum in below deck, that should make you deck sweeper types happy even though Id rather mine was above but that my be from not knowing any better then anything else.

So what am I missing as apparently this is a piece of junk I should expect to find on the bottom on one of my returns to the dock.

Respectfully submitted
A happy neighbor to a Hunter owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Personally, I like them, for a nice cruiser. Good space, the new ones look very nice, and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't sail well.
Old 09-24-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
The way I see it...only my opinion..

In the US, and especially here in Sailnet, it's not "classy" and "true old salt", and "real sailor" not to own or love or want a 5 foot thick design, ( I repeat, they are thick because in 1411 or earlier -seems to be the year of choice of boat year for the real men sailor here- when they made fiberglass the technology was so poor the only way to get stiffness was by adding 500 layers of FG, not because the guys making them made them stiff in case one hits a submerged sky scrapper), full of useless heavy wood ornaments, the more the better, and if they have wood carvings...downwind is better..., with a keel fit for Titanic, preferably double ender, with a short mast and submarine windows, with technology that made the boats sail like shoe...

Having that...everything that comes out of the "rules" is bad, unworthy and let's bash it...since we can't sail faster..we'll bash them...

I admit I am not in love with the backstay less system, but for cruising coastal whoi cares...

I like them, as I like most boats..I'd rather have a Hunter, than an old 1765 POS 5 foot hull with drag surfaces everywhere, because a guy in sailnet thinks it's the way to go..oceanic...

I want a Sailboat to sail, those "real boats" can't sail...they float and move with the wind, (only if it's bellow 15)...

My mother used to say:
"It's green, don't eat it"...or something like that ...meaning..if one can't have fruit, let's say it's green and diminish the fruit...make you feel better.

There...my opinion....

I wonder how many say my boat is a POS because I have a spade rudder and a fin keel with a torpedo...(many actually sent me pm's about it too)...

What can I do?? Nothing..sit back, and enjoy...I sail..I move...to cross the Atlantic, I use Caribbean Cruises....

So when I hear these so called "real sailors" floating around the World in "sailing history" boats, bashing Hunter, or Catalina, or Benetau...I just think to my self..what a primitive mind...if only you knew better...and nod my head...actually..I do laugh a little...

You can't imagine...it's like the old folks that never want to learn to use a laptop...you know...

I know Hunter had a few building problmes, and hey..they are making them as best they can, to make sailing and coastal cruising accessible to the masses...isn't having more people sailing a good thing??

Well, for the wood lover, long keel sellfish "real salts", it isn't...the see is only theirs....

Last edited by Giulietta; 09-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Hey Giulietta: My keel can beat up your keel!

...and at least I don't get dismasted and have my rudder snap off when the USCG puts a tow line on my anchor roller (true story that happened to a Hunter)
Old 09-24-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I have said it a couple of times; personally, I like the interior layout of the new Hunters. They seem so much more Homey (what ever that word is) Than the others. Having said that, I still can't see myself owning one.

But to answer your question, like Alex says, It seems to be the thing to do around here so we all follow suit.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-24-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Alex it's not only here at sailnet..I see it at SA to... Id say even moreso.

That was the first place I ever saw Benahuntalina...or how ever there spelling it over there.

So there are several brand bashing not just hunter.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-24-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
Hey Giulietta: My keel can beat up your keel!

...and at least I don't get dismasted and have my rudder snap off when the USCG puts a tow line on my anchor roller (true story that happened to a Hunter)
See??? Rest my case....

Sailboy..also Valiente's boat can beat your boat, and sink it......but do I go comparing his steel boat with yours??

No I don't not, because I compare apples to apples, and do not throw the loser down...no need...

You may beat my keel, but I sail around you in circles, because my boat was made for that...sailing fast
Old 09-24-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
a couple guys i know own hunters (one 80's model,one a couple years old) and although i will admit i wouldnt consider one for myself i can say they are nicely put together comfortable cruising boats and the price was right when they bought them.
both guys love them.
i say buy whatever you like and screw what everyone thinks.
people only make coments on others to take the spotlight off themselves.
Old 09-24-2008

I have just one question...

Imagine, for a moment, that all you could have/afford/want/own is a Hunter, or a Catalina, or a Beneteau...put yourself in the place of an owner...just one minute..never mind why..just imagine THAT is your boat

Then come here, and read this and other threads about YOUR boat...

how does that feel???

Nice huh??? MAkes you fell nice warm inside, doesn't it??

BE NICE

Don't bash boats...they are boats..not their fault..all serve a purpose, all are good in my book...
Old 09-24-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Alex, I like fast boats, and someday I aspire to own one. But, I want one that can take me to Hawaii, ot to Mexico, and not need a refit when I get there (or if I get there). You can sail brand new a Hunter 2000 miles, but if it looses the rudder, mast and engine in the process that doesn't qualify as a successful voyage in my book. Who knows what condition the boat will be in after a decade and a couple good groundings. They are probably fine for "light use" but any boat I am interested in had better hold up.
I was actually just looking pretty seriously at the Delphia 37. It is offshore rated CE class "A" by the EU, and looks like it might take a few years bashing around the worlds oceans. There defiantly seems to be some merit to these types of designs. I need to talk the broker into letting me charter it and go bashing around Vancouver Islands for a week.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.