SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

hull deck joint

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ArgleBargle 
#1 ·
hi

looking at a hanse. the hull deck joint is an inward turned flange. it appears to be screwed rather than bolted together which i havent seen before (though what i havent seen before could fill a warehouse) - anyone familiar with this technique and any comments one way or the other?

thanks again in advance.

#4 ·
ArgleBargle-

The screws are probably just there to hold it until the chemical bonding sets. Some of the adhesives used in bonding the hull-deck join are incredibly strong and in some cases are sufficient to hold the joint together by themselves. On older boats, where such adhesives were not available, through-bolting was a necessity.

#5 ·
Before going into the bash bad mouth thing.

I know the procedure they use, and the deck is glued with high strenght adhesives.

The scews, that have little structural effect are only to keep the bonding thight during the cure process.

Believe me I AHVE SEEN a stripped out Hanse inside...

They have other more important faults and deffects, but hull/deck bonding is not one of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.