Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008

TheWastedYears is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheWastedYears
Removable bung in keel?

Hi All,

I was looking at a sailboat for sale (South Coast 23 w/ shoal keel) and the owner had drilled a drainage hole in the keel. His plan was to put in a removable bung.

I've never heard of such a thing. Is this common (or recomended?)

1966 Columbia C-31
1977 Victoria 18
A copy of "Sailing For Dummies"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
I've run into quite a few boats that use one, good idea for storage, any water that gets in the boat is allowed to drain out immediately.

for illustration:

Garboard Drain Plugs

Have a small through hull at the lowest point on my bilge, and I'm debating whether I should fill the hole, or install a drain, I like the idea of allowing drainage, but realy dislike holes in my hull.

Ken.
Old 09-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Ninja'd! Yes, they are garboard plugs. They are more common in places where boats are hauled for the winter and there is a possibility of snow or rain getting below to the bilges, and going through a freeze/thaw cycle, which can be destructive. Another advantage is that you can haul the boat, pull up the sole boards and fully scrub or even powerwash the bilges (remove cushions first!) and let the dirty water flow completely out the plug hole. Then you wash the dirt from below that hole on the keel.

The disadvantage, of course, is that it's another hole in the boat. But if you use a recessed threaded pipe and a cap on the interior screwed into it, you are pretty secure, because it will only be disturbed at launch and haulout.
Old 09-29-2008

fcsob is on a distinguished road
My 76 Morgan O/I has one. Nice to drain the bilge & clean it when you haul out.
Old 09-29-2008

TheWastedYears is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheWastedYears
I dunno why, but I have an almost irrational fear of holes in the hull. But as I read more about the South Coast 23, it makes perfect sense. Apparently, this is one of those designs where the cockpit drains into the bilge.

1966 Columbia C-31
1977 Victoria 18
A copy of "Sailing For Dummies"
Old 09-29-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWastedYears View Post
I dunno why, but I have an almost irrational fear of holes in the hull. But as I read more about the South Coast 23, it makes perfect sense. Apparently, this is one of those designs where the cockpit drains into the bilge.
Yes, well that doesn't make any sense. There is absolutely no reason why the cockpit of any modern boat should drain into the bilge.

If it were my boat, that would be the first thing on the list to fix!

Cameron
Old 09-30-2008

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Many boats at our marina have garbord drains. A local boatbuilder usually installs them as well.

Our boats are hauled during the winter and the marina is not patrolled regularly. Typically snow can fill the cockpit and than rain/freezing rain can put a hard layer over this snow and also cover cockpit drains. A mid winter rain storm will then fill cockpit to level of hatchboard and flow into boat.

This does not happen often but there are many ways in which water can find its way into an unattended boat over winter and easily rise to or over floorboard level. One boat in our marina had replaced the cabin sole only to have this happen over the following winter. After that a lot of boats installed garbord drains.

Another option is to remove the speed transducer to leave this as a drain. It is much higher than the bilge though and the possibility of water filling the bilge and freezing would still exist - though below the floorboard level.

Garbord drains are not at all difficult to install and unless you have a cored hull I do not see this as a major problem. I do however see water sitting in a boat on the hard as a major problem.

Mike
J27 #150
Old 12-03-2008

sailonct is on a distinguished road
Drain hole in keel

I recently bought a Morgan 35'. I didn't realize 'til the yard manager pointed out to me that I have a drain in the keel/bilge. He said they are somewhat rare, that only 6 or 8 sailboats in the yard have them. It's a nice feature. The plug itself is a nice bronze threaded plug that is removed with a 1/2" ratchet (no socket required). It's nice to know that any water that gets down there will run out, even after I remove the batteries disabling the bilge pump.

Take care.

Dewayne
Old 12-03-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWastedYears View Post
Note really about the drain plug, but interesting nonetheless... My Victory 21 had the same arrangement, where the cockpit drained into the bilge. It was near impossible to keep the bilge from filling up with water in the summer. I finally put a large tarp over the boom (a cheap one). After that, it was bone dry.
Old 12-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A South Coast 23 isn't really a modern design, being about 40 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Yes, well that doesn't make any sense. There is absolutely no reason why the cockpit of any modern boat should drain into the bilge.

If it were my boat, that would be the first thing on the list to fix!

Cameron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.