Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Thumbs..

The topping lift should be eased once you hoist the main. for one main reason, because it prevents the booom to descend, it creates excessive twist in the main, spilling the wind above..release the TL once you hoist the main, ok??

Now, for that little boat I don 't see the added value in doing it..but if you sail in low to moderate winds, yes..by all means get a little roach..makes the boat look better..now..if said roach is going to cost more than $150.00 forget about it.

Does it have a boom vang? traveler?.with roach you will need a few more tools, ok?

Last edited by Giulietta; 10-08-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
It has a traveler. I will have to check on boom vang but this can be added pretty easily as well AFAIK.

Alex, thanks for the excelent videos. You are my hero. All this time I thought the only mainsail control was the main sheet. (I sailed for the first time in July). I thought the outhaul just compensated for sail stretch as it aged. I thought the boom vang just keeps the boom from falling out of it's slot in the mast. I had no idea what a traveler might be for.

Thanks again. Eric
Old 10-08-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
It has a traveler. I will have to check on boom vang but this can be added pretty easily as well AFAIK.

Alex, thanks for the excelent videos. You are my hero. All this time I thought the only mainsail control was the main sheet. (I sailed for the first time in July). I thought the outhaul just compensated for sail stretch as it aged. I thought the boom vang just keeps the boom from falling out of it's slot in the mast. I had no idea what a traveler might be for.

Thanks again. Eric
Nahhh..I am my kid's Hero...not yours....(and even that, only until he finds I am a loser )....

Hey, please, man, don't need to thank, really..I do this to keep me busy while away from home..when i am home you rarely see me here..and just making you happy makes my day..I'll drive to my hotel happier tonight..and my walk around the Rock Springs, WY walmart will be the counterclockwise tonight!!!

Remember to release the toping lift next time, ok??
Old 10-08-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
For unwanted Roach...Home Depot sells anti-roach in a one gallon jug for $4.99.
should cure your problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 10-08-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Nahhh..I am my kid's Hero...not yours....(and even that, only until he finds I am a loser )....

Hey, please, man, don't need to thank, really..I do this to keep me busy while away from home..when i am home you rarely see me here..and just making you happy makes my day..I'll drive to my hotel happier tonight..and my walk around the Rock Springs, WY walmart will be the counterclockwise tonight!!!

Alex,
Maybe you should skip the Wall Mart tonight and go bowl a few frames.
You could probably use the upper body exercise.
Old 10-08-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I remember when I was my son's hero. Now I have never been so stupid (he is 18)

Quote:
Will do. (next summer)
Old 10-08-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
The J24s in our area only USE class approved sails to get there 174 PHRF and get the same rating if they do a JAM race

PHRF # we have two J105s one is and 81 and the other a 105

The boats i raced on this year with the roach problem are a Tartan 10,C&C 35 Mark I and a Tartan 372

All there race mains hit the backstay buy and easy 5"

Now is its faster BUT it is just a PITA for the crew to deal with

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 10-08-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2008
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
If by roach you mean a convex leach, that's easy to accomplish but the performance gains are minimal. Doesn't add much at the head, doesn't add much forward thrust. Does smoth out exiting air flow. You will need longer, better battens to hold the fabric out.

The greatest gains in roach are made at the sail top -- going from a pointy head to a squared-off or PowerHead. That's where the wind is strongest and where your present sail is least effective. Two full-length battens would do ya. But unless you crane out your backstays, you may catch. (Our Bucc18 uses a powerhead. It's nice.)

If you live in a light wind area, you might profit better by ordering a main with deeper draft and/or full-length battens. As I mentioned before, the trouble on that cute keeler is gonna be controlling the slot. I'd focus on getting your main and headsail sheeting and twisting just so. That'll increase drive more than a couple sqft of fabric on the trailing edge.
Old 10-08-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Ahh ok Thanks, crew accidents...

I was seeing something diffrent, like the boat broaching and stuff, you know...heeling etc.

I couldn't see that, because the main allways passes, even if stuck momentarily..

thank you.

Alex
Alex, that would be a 'roach broach'.

Old 10-08-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Once again, I have to come and bail all you guys out from your lame advice. Thumbs, my friend, this is what will happen to you if you add roach. Don't do it. It will ruin your life.

Vaya con Dios