Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
adding roach

If I am buying a new mainsail for a boat that originally had a mainsail with no roach, is it a good idea to buy a sail with some roach to try to improve performance?

This could make weatherhelm an issue (let's assume the boat is well balanced to begin with, just a little slow). Would the roach make a noticeable difference in weatherhelm? Would it make a noticeable difference in performance?

Why would a designer design a mainsail with no roach? Isn't it almost free performance?

Eric
Old 10-08-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Every PHRF boat that i have been on this year has a RACE main with MAX roach

The roach allways hits the backstay making it a PITA to tack in lighter air and even in heavy air the main takes a beating on every tack to get that last bit of performance

So i question the wisdom of allowing a roach that hits the backstay as i have seen a few accidents when it gets hung up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I could see it if the original sail had a hollow roach but not if it gets into the backstay.
Old 10-08-2008
midlife crisis member

Yeah, I had not thought of the back stay, or the boom topping lift for that matter.
Old 10-08-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

So i question the wisdom of allowing a roach that hits the backstay as i have seen a few accidents when it gets hung up
Tom, I am curious with those..can you explain how that happened and where?

I'm from the "land of big roaches" and never saw an accident caused by a roach stuck in a backstay...please help

Thanks
Old 10-08-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
AT..is it for the boat in your avatar??

Why do you want to add? you sail light winds? If you do, it's ok, but the advantage speed wise is little. honestely..but if you want it..doesn't hurt that much...
Old 10-08-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I question it on PHRF boats because once one guy has it everybody thinks they need it

Are fall series was on Sat and we had 3 races with say 30 tacks and jibes each so that was 90 times the main had to be pushed

I have seen two things happen

1. A crew member thinks the main is sheeted in but it is hung on backstay as carefull as they should be about keeping there head clear of the boom they were not and when another crew poped it through without warning

This resulted in a trip to the ER with a fairly serious head injury

2. The crew trying to force it through during a tack or jib loses there footing when it clears and they have nothing left to balance on

While nobody got hurt doing this i have seen many stumble and hit the deck

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 10-08-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

1. A crew member thinks the main is sheeted in but it is hung on backstay as carefull as they should be about keeping there head clear of the boom they were not and when another crew poped it through without warning

This resulted in a trip to the ER with a fairly serious head injury

2. The crew trying to force it through during a tack or jib loses there footing when it clears and they have nothing left to balance on
Ahh ok Thanks, crew accidents...

I was seeing something diffrent, like the boat broaching and stuff, you know...heeling etc.

I couldn't see that, because the main allways passes, even if stuck momentarily..

thank you.

Alex
Old 10-08-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I question it on PHRF boats because once one guy has it everybody thinks they need it

This is only going to be true if you are talking about a group of OD boats that are racing as a PHRF fleet (which your signature suggests) AND no one is actively managing the PHRF handicaps to adjust for changes in sail size.

Is this even a racing boat in question??
Old 10-08-2008
midlife crisis member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
AT..is it for the boat in your avatar??

Why do you want to add? you sail light winds? If you do, it's ok, but the advantage speed wise is little. honestely..but if you want it..doesn't hurt that much...
That is my boat in the avatar but not the boat I am talking about here. I am looking at an older 20 foot boat with a tiny mainsail and no raoch at all. The boat (if I buy it) is due for a main sail soon so while I am getting quotes I need to know if I should be looking at a sail with roach or without. The boat is known to be a little pokey so I figured I would ask. Every little bit helps.

And no, I don't race.

My current boat has a roach on the sail and it does get stuck on the boom topping lift on a close hauled tack but only in really light air, and still the boom always swings all the way by no matter what, so it's not a safety issue. Sail wear could be an issue I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
adding roach-583c.jpg