Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
A boat designed for ease of maintenance

I've spent a lot of time prowling in around under sail boats the last few weeks. Each builder seems to have a focus.
Hunter = Affordable, new looks new designs
Catalina = Affordable, little more traditional
Caliber = off-shore, solid
Island Packet = Beautiful solid.
MacGregor = cheap, fun, just get on the water.

And on and on through each builder.
The one item I don't think I saw on any boat was a serious design for easy of maintenance. Yes Sabre had some nice maintenance ideas as did several other builders but not one of them did what I have in mind.

I would love to see a boat where the whole interior is bolt in and bolt out.
Every mechanical, wire, pipe etc is accessible with less than 30 minutes with a power tool of choice and just as easy to but back in.

I know the modern designs are using the interior for strewn. But frankly a significant part of the cost and worry about boats is about stuff you can't see or is too hard to fit into.

Has anyone seen any boat designed for easy maintenance? Any mods you did to make access easier?

What if a boat was designed for ease of maintenance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The Hans Christian Explorer was designed as a collaboration between Chuc Paine and Nigel Calder and I think it is perhaps the closest thing I have seen to a boat designed for low maintenance, easy access and top notch system standards.
Hans Christian Explorer Yachts
I think they only built a few as it was quite expensive and a complete departure from the usual HC fare and financial problems with the company existed. Nevertheless and outstanding world cruising design.
Old 10-12-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
1983 Sabre 34. You could pop out the wood box engine cover & facing, rear access panel and both sides without tools. A little more work with a screwdriver and the whole frame around the engine comes out. The interior joinery & cabnitry is all bolted in and all removable.

But that mostly is true for the "classic plastic" boats designed in the 70's before the molded liners became the norm. The interior is bolted or screwed in. Some - Westsail 32 and Southern Cross 31 for example - could be purchased without any interior fixtures, fittings or furnishings and you built it the way you wanted.

The rest of the maintenance can be a bother. For some reason 12 foot teak handrails, cabin length teak "eyebrows" and full length teak toe rails seemed to be fashionable. Keep you busy finishing and re-bedding continually.

I had an '00 Catalina 34 MkII and there was not a sliver of wood or a molecule of brass on the exterior. Talk about ease of maintenance. ;-)
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau

Last edited by Delirious; 10-12-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2008

kale is on a distinguished road
a boat designed for easy mant would be a dream or maybe a dream boat
Old 10-12-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Everything in a Hartley TS is accessible for maintenance.

The entire structure inside can (and often is!) removed and replaced, just because someone wants to try something different.. That's why the darned thing is so heavy!

There are plenty of boats out there where access to every part of the interior is possible - and not for a midget with dentist's tools - but they're probably not the latest light-weight go-fast designs.
Old 10-12-2008

Thanks Cam I'll check it out.
Designs that annoy me include:

Tanks that can not be removed.
Engines that have poor access.
steering cables with limited access.
Headliner that prevent me from tightening deck mounted hardware.

It seems like every boat I look at has one or more of these "features"
Old 10-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
There are plenty of boats out there where access to every part of the interior is possible - and not for a midget with dentist's tools - but they're probably not the latest light-weight go-fast designs.

I'm interrested in that list.
Most of the ones I've seen are not like that.

Some examples?
Old 10-12-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I'm interrested in that list.
Most of the ones I've seen are not like that.

Some examples?
That could take a while.. but scattered offerings from Adams, Catalina and Northshore are some that come to mind... pretty much any dearly-loved cruising yacht from the 70's/80's and anything "home-built" (eg. many Roberts designs).

It's tricky to make a definite list because, until mass-manufacturing of interiors came in vogue, any two boats of the same design could be completely (totally) different inside - one easy to access, the other a minefield - depending upon the PO's desire to tinker.

It's probably easier to point out yachts (like Farrs!) that are crap for interior accessibility - right from the factory.

Cameron
Old 10-12-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I think I may have the almost perfect boat for that.

1. Headliner just pops off in sections so no worries there for bolt access.
2. Every valve, pump, etc is within easy access (aft bunks are on wood slabs - lift up cushion and wood flats in sections, repeated through out the boat.)
3. Engine Access is 270 degrees .
4. Wiring is relatively easy to access.
5. Bilge - just lift up floorboards.
6. My interior is mainly screw in, but not too much is located "hidden" that requires disassembly (less the toe rail bolts).
7. All tanks are easily removable without moving anything major.

I think you need to look for a Barberis

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artbyjody; 10-12-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
...Designs that annoy me include:

Tanks that can not be removed.
Engines that have poor access.
steering cables with limited access.
Headliner that prevent me from tightening deck mounted hardware.

It seems like every boat I look at has one or more of these "features"
Look at the Pacific Seacraft range. I would say on balance that they are quite a bit better than most for accessibility/serviceability.

Our fuel tank is easily removable.

Water tanks have access ports and full removable lids.

Our engine has 270 access with a quick flip up lid, plus rear side access through a removable hatch. Most PSCs have a removable cockpit sole/hatch that allows even easier engine access and removal if necessary (our model is the only Crealock PSC without that feature).

Our steering cables are easily accessed via a removable panel in the quarterberth.

Also, the PSC headliners have full length zippers that allow access to the underside of the deck.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT