Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
SVD - the shape of that defunct water tank almost looks like it was meant to accommodate a dinette of some sort in the first place..

We currently have a center line table and we miss the off set Ushaped dinette we had in the last boat - it really frees up movement fore and aft below, esp with others there. I would go along with the thought that, if there's sufficient space that you may find such a dinette more practical than a 2x2 type of dinette. There is, however, as JRP noted a loss of table surface area. But overall it's a much cozier look and provides comfy "corners" for lounging.

Chuckle's mock up plan makes a lot of sense.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I really don't think i could fit a u-shaped dinette in the area. The table with 2 benches idea is going to work out best. Ive also considered building it back to factory.

As for the water tank, why would anyone cut out half your fresh water storage?

This is what factory would have looked like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2008
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
This is ours and we like the space / comfort / usability ratios

Old 10-19-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
I really don't think i could fit a u-shaped dinette in the area. The table with 2 benches idea is going to work out best. Ive also considered building it back to factory.
SVD, from what I can see from your photos, if there's not enough room for a U-shape, it doesn't look like you'll have enough space.

Even making the seats higher, I'd suspect that the curvature of the hull will remove most, if not all, of the leg-room from the person against the hull (though okay for small kids I suppose) and the table will take up quite a bit of valuable storage space, although if it can be lowered, you'd have a double berth.

The reason pilot berths are fitted as standard in most small boats is because they maximise the available seating & storage space, given the curvature of the hull. U-shaped dinettes work great, but you need plenty of beam to have a seat against the hull and seating for two between that and the centerline...

.. but with that in mind, seeing as you're going to replace the bulkhead anyway, could you move your fore/aft passageway further to starboard?? It's a bigger job, but a U-shaped dinette might fit then.

Just my .05 cents worth...