Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008

ghostwriter247 is on a distinguished road
Can this be fixed? gash in side of boat

Hello,

I have been lurking for quite some time and am in the process of buying my first boat.

I have a question though about a soverel 73 30 mkIII. it was blown up against a dock and this is the result:

Interior

The rest of the photos can be seen @Shutterfly

Or they will as soon as they up load.

The split is just forward of the main shroud chainplate and about where the Head bulkhead is. It has splintered on both the interior and exterior so i assume it goes all the way through. It is about a foot below the deck.

since it is all the way thorugh it doesnt seem like one could grind it out so what could one do?

As you can see from the photos one of the lower shroud chainplates snapped and looking at the top of the boom so did the forestay.

Overall the boats in good shape with this one major wart and the price is right so i was looking for a solution that will be offshore capable that i wont have to worry about

Thanks for the info

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Can this be fixed? gash in side of boat-img_2271.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Will possibly see conflicting opinions, but it wouldn't scare me away from the boat. With proper repair it can be about as strong as new.

You need to carefully check the surrounding area, and any other scuffs that you find. Make sure there is no hidden delamination.

Take a hand saw (drywall/keyhole type) or tin snips, or router and cut the overlapping sections, then grind back for your 12:1 and repair it like any other patch. Make sure you get any delaminated areas out, much better to do new than to try to fix delamination.

Ken.
Old 11-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
no problem..if inside no structural stuff is affected...fix it and forget about it..

You may need an inside reinforcment...have seen worse get repaired and gone...
Old 11-28-2008

Merc,

Thanks for the reply. I was reading up on it in Don caseys book. Seems relatively straight forward if tedious.

There is a picture of the main shroud chain plate with two other plates sticking up does anybody know what these are for? the lowers connect to the cabin so im a bit confused They are glassed into the hull.

The first is the trio of plates sticking up. The outboard two are glassed into the hull, the third goes through and you can see the attachment on th interior in the third pic. the second shows the exterior of the boat where it seems something has popped off below the chainplate. this is directly aft of the gouge.

Unfortunately i just made the assumption about what went where and forgot to ask.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Can this be fixed? gash in side of boat-img_2261.jpg   Can this be fixed? gash in side of boat-img_2273.jpg   Can this be fixed? gash in side of boat-img_2255.jpg  
Old 11-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, that damage can be pretty easily repaired. If the interior is accessible, repairing it from both sides is probably a good idea. It doesn't appear that there is a structural bulkhead inside that area...but when you're grinding the 12:1 bevel for the repair, you may need to glass underneath one... which means removing it may be necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-28-2008

I do have access to the interior, and yes the split does extend forward of the bulkhead unfortunately.

still confused about those plates though! Could they have been for jib blocks?

Thanks for the replies
Old 11-28-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter247 View Post
I do have access to the interior, and yes the split does extend forward of the bulkhead unfortunately.

still confused about those plates though! Could they have been for jib blocks?

Thanks for the replies
They certainly look like chainplates to me. Is it possible that the chainplates on the cabin were added later to replace the outboard ones?
Old 11-28-2008

Could be but if you notice then the lower forward would be right in line with the upper, i was under the impression the lowers generally were forward and aft of the upper. whereas the ones on the cabin trunk are forward and aft of the upper
Old 11-28-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Knothead may be correct. In the third photo, on the left, is that metal strap attach to the plate on deck?

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 11-28-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter247 View Post
i was under the impression the lowers generally were forward and aft of the upper. whereas the ones on the cabin trunk are forward and aft of the upper
Knot always. It's not uncommon for the forward lowers or the intermediates to be inline with the uppers.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.