Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Yeh....I guess that’s right....I forget the big difference between traditional and modern designs when it comes to overhangs.

The difference between my LOA and my LWL is around 9ft on a 48ft LOA boat.

BTW my L/D is 295 ....W/O beer!
Old 01-26-2009

InetRoadkill is on a distinguished road
As I understand it, the Elements book is based on designs rules from a 100 years ago, so I thought it be worthwhile to check on them. Supposedly, the book has been updated over the years. But I guess my suspicions were correct that its rules are a bit out of date. It's still an interesting read.

I did a quick survey of marina depths at various spots using google. An 8' draft seems acceptable in most places, but there looks to be quite a few marinas that are only 6'.

The sketches I made for a 38ft has very little overhang. I'm trying to maximize the LWL and discourage the bow from riding up on incoming waves. It also made for a bit more room up front.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone has some opinions on the SWATH-style catamarans. The torpedo hulls look like an interesting way to punch thru rough water and gain some speed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2009

A comfortable “sea kindly" boat is important to me.....AND SO IS DRY.

A white knuckle wave piercing ride would be fun for about oh say…a couple minutes…. but then I want to drink my coffee and have a sandwich.
Old 01-26-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
INetRoadKill, I guess I just have to ask, what the heck are you doing?

On one hand you are mentioning exotic multihull hull forms that are best suited as power driven commercial craft and in the same post you mention what I assume is "Skene's Elements of Yacht Design"? These are such far extremes of thinking that I am perplexed when you say "sketches I made for a 38ft has very little overhang." In other words, are you attempting to design a boat? And more to the point, are you attempting to design a boat that you plan to build?

And if you are designing a boat, are you designing a multihull, or a planing boat, or a semi-displacement monohull?

I only ask because the weights and drafts that you are throwing around while mildly heavy for a monohull are dangerously heavy and deep fopr a multihull and are way too heavy to every get up on a plane under sail.

And there there is Skene's. Skene's was published in a number of editions over close to a 100 year period and frankly was outdated decades ago. Its not that the most recent versions aren't useful as reference tool, but so much has been learned about motion comfort and seakeeping that it is not all that useful as a design textbook.

And that gets me to my point of asking if you plan to build what you are designing. Traditional hull forms and rigs were pretty easy to design. Its not that bad designs weren't done, but frankly it was easier to get it right if you spent some time looking at what had been done before, did your calculations rigorously and paid attention to your drafting. Modern designs, whether they are multihulls or monohulls require a lot more skill to design. They are just plain less forgiving and so if you really plan to design a boat that you plan to actually build, I suggest that you look into WESTLAWN Instutute of Marine Technology, Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology because whatever one of their courses cost it is way cheaper than building a not all that well designed 40 plus footer.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 01-26-2009

I'm just exploring options right now. Nothing is in stone. Right now, any idea is up for consideration -- within reason. Granted, going too far off the beaten path is probably not a good idea. I guess it's confusing trying to figure out what I'm up to at this point based on the questions I've posed. But it's mostly just brainstorming.

The design I'm toying with now is a rather conventional monohull. But I've always had a soft spot for catamarans which is why I was asking about them. I know the swath-style hull on a catamaran probably isn't going to tolerate the heeling forces from the sails very well. I was curious if it was a good open water performer in terms of speed and smoothness.
Old 01-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by InetRoadkill View Post
I'm just exploring options right now. ....
... I've always had a soft spot for catamarans which is why I was asking ...the swath-style hull on a catamaran
Can't believe I'm posting a pic of a powerboat, but is this what you mean by "swath" design? This boat is a passenger ferry between St Maarten and Saba.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-26-2009

Can't really tell from that picture, but it might be.

A swath hull is roughly a pontoon boat in which the pontoons are submerged and torpedo shaped. I believe the idea is that they don't make bow waves so they are not limited by hull speed and since they are underwater, they don't care about waves. They are probably too unstable for use in a sailboat application since there is little change in buoyancy with depth.
Old 01-27-2009

Are you actualy thinking about putting a mast on a sub....?
Should be a smooth ride
Old 01-27-2009

I bet it would be smooth. But I'm not going on deck to hoist those sails.

Actually, I'm just trying to get familiar with different hull shapes and their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 02-01-2009

JPerkins is on a distinguished road
build baby build.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.