Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
One thing I find interesting is the preponderance of folks who stated they prefer a forward-facing nav. Our nav faces aft. To me this seems cool in that the navigator sitting at the nav station has eye contact with, and can talk directly to, the helmsman in the cockpit. What do you see as the advantage of a forward-facing nav? When I've been on boats that had them, the navigator had to leave his station, come topside to talk to the helm, then go back below. I found that somewhat awkward.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2009
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road
My nav station I imagine to be state of the art in 1932 when the Skipjack was built . It's a nook next to the galley with an overhead storage cabinet , A small table , & 4 drawers below that . No seat . The top drawer when you open it reveals your current chart on rollers under glass & backlit . The backlight comes on when you open the drawer & you can pan back & forth on the chart using 2 cranks on the outside face of the drawer . I use the cabinet for storage , the table for loose stuff , the nav drawer as a conversation piece , & the lower 3 drawers for tools & spare parts . Do I love it ??? Hmmmmmmm......it's ok . I would probably use a space I could sit down at more , but I've adapted to it .
Old 01-17-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
One thing I find interesting is the preponderance of folks who stated they prefer a forward-facing nav. Our nav faces aft. To me this seems cool in that the navigator sitting at the nav station has eye contact with, and can talk directly to, the helmsman in the cockpit. What do you see as the advantage of a forward-facing nav? When I've been on boats that had them, the navigator had to leave his station, come topside to talk to the helm, then go back below. I found that somewhat awkward.
Definitely see your point about navigator communicating with the cockpit.. but OTOH while relaxing below with friends (a lot of them) anyone having to use the nav seat will have their backs to the group... anyhow - it's all compromise, right?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-17-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I don't know what it is about me, but I need to be facing the pointy end of the boat when I working with charts. My mind just does not work well if I facing the stern and trying to think about where I want the bow to go.

When I go down to the City (NYC) and get on a subway, I lose all sense of direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
navagating? what's that?
I click on where I want to go on the plotter and hit 'GoTo'.

Plotter is at the helm so we don't do much naving at the desk. but the desk is always used as a desk/office. laptop is there for any number of things, including surfing sailnet. large charts get laid out on the salon table.
only change I need to make is a chair with a back, the stool on an arm sucks for my bad back.
I spend a lot of time at the nav station
Old 01-17-2009

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
I love Mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Do hate your nav station?-chart-table-small.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
noelex
is that seat on a swing arm?
Old 01-17-2009

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
noelex
is that seat on a swing arm?
No its on a custom stainless steel base that slides back and forth and rotates.
The actual chair is looking a bit tired and I want to replace it with Recaro or similar car seat ( Has anyone an opinion if leather is an option, its a very dry boat, or if mould etc makes this totally impractical.)
Cheers John
Old 01-17-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
For us the nav station is at the helm. All access to electronic nav devices are at our helm. If I decide to do some paper and pencil work with a handheld calulator, then that can be any flat surface. There's no way I'm going to specialize space on my boat for such a generic need! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 01-17-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Our nav station faces starboard, and is right next to the cockpit area. It's not really large enough to lay out a full chart, so I would use the dining table for that if I needed to. Its a good area to corral the nav tools, VHF, circuit panel, binoculars, horn, laptop, etc., but not roomy enough for charting...but the one noelex has looks functional.