Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
I love my nav station; it is my office, my communications centre and my refuge. I love to sit there in the evening planning and laying-out our next day, and in the morning it is a great place to sit with a cup of coffee while listening to the weather on the radios, looking at weather charts and tweaking the days plans.

As far as chart orientation is concerned, I am strictly a north-up guy. My training with paper charts as a Pilot in the Air Force and as a Navigating Officer in the Navy have left their marks. I know that jet fighters use head-up, but I didn't train on fighters. Also, in my mountaineering days, I always read the topo maps north-up. So for me, both on paper and on chart plotter, head-up and course-up are dis-orienting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Talking Love it!!

The nav station is the most comfortable and probably the safest seat below while sailing. The two photos below show the nav. station and the chart storage (a real luxury) just behind it.

I will be forever grateful to the first owner who had the designer's plans modified in this area of the boat. He nixed the idea of two upholstered swivel chairs with a small table between, and a 18" deep chart table in lieu of the chart storage with work surface above, a nav. station chart table / work surface that will take 1/2 folded chart and a simple bench seat that's small enough to tightly wedge youself into on a heel.

The nav station faces aft. I agree with the points raised about it being good to have visual communication with the helmsman. Only problem I've found is that I used to confuse "port" and "starboard" when calling course changes to the helm, especially when working with radar piloting in tight quarters and the steering commands are "Come left 5 degrees"..... I solved the problem with the two pieces of white tape stuck to the top of the radar CRT (top photo). One says "Stbd", the other "Port" -- some visiting skippers have asked if I learned that in "Seamanship for Dummies".
Old 01-20-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i dont like mine

reasons,
the seat is the quarter berth so no back rest
charts wont open up fully
the light above is in the wrong spot, esp if you lift the desk
the desk is flat you you have to lean over blocking the light
the desk wont open all the way

we use it as a table, but we have not left the bay yet so i just bring a water proof chart book to the helm if i need it. if i use the lap top its on my lap. i navigate by the seat of my pants at the helm, i look where we are and where i need to go and just go that direction. i guess in the spring when we plan to run the icw for a week or so it may change