Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
New Morris Daysailer

Neat article about launching the new Morris 29' day sailer

Morris Yachts launches new sailboat - Bangor Daily News
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2009

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
My favorite line from the article:
"Given current economic conditions, the small M29, at $185,000, is a more affordable day sailer that still can keep people on the water."

Only $185,000! What a deal. Seriously, that has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of. Most of the paople I know own boats, and have been around the water their whole lives. I don't think any of them (including liveaboards) have a boat that is worth $185K. If the economic conditions are affecting you that much, maybe you shouldn't be buying a Morris.

Last edited by BlueWaterMD; 01-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2009
Aquaholic

I caught that too; but for a new out-of-the-box boat, that IS a little on the , ahem..... "affordable", side OMG
..... Gordon Bok
Old 01-28-2009
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterMD View Post
My favorite line from the article:
"Given current economic conditions, the small M29, at $185,000, is a more affordable day sailer that still can keep people on the water."
Having grown up reading the Bangor Daily News I can feel pretty good about stating that Morris told them this and it isn't in quotes because it is paraphrased.

Morris not only makes quality boats but obviously has both feet securely planted on the ol' terra firma. Holy crap.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 01-28-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I like it..a lot.

The M29 is a modern new boat, designed with old lines that cleverly maintains beautifull lines and proportions..which is what they wanted in the firts place.

This is how a new "retro look" boat should look like, unlike the....ahem...you know which boat I am talikng about...yep..that one..the tottaly disporportional misfit....
Old 01-28-2009
Aquaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
Having grown up reading the Bangor Daily News I can feel pretty good about stating that Morris told them this and it isn't in quotes because it is paraphrased.
LOLOL; having been a BDN reader for almost 20 years, I would have to say that you have a keen political tongue and a clever turn of phrase. I'm actually surprised they spelled Morris correctly!
..... Gordon Bok
Old 01-28-2009

Michael201 is on a distinguished road
BluewaterMD......

I've not been involved in the sailing community/market very long. 5 years to be exact. It's been long enough to know that talking about a Morris would be the same as talking about a RR or other high quality built expensive fine automobiles.

Also, why state the completely obvious at the end of your post?

What does it matter who you know or what the people around you sail regardless of the price? If you were reading an article about Ferrari motorcars and they came out with a less expensive model to allow people to enter the Ferrari marketplace in bad financial times, how does that reflect stupidity????? Seems more like class envy or class warfare to me. Do you seriously thing any of these companies think about the people that CAN'T afford them when they develop marketing plans or do an interview with the media?

Sailing a Morris, Oyster or such type or driving a Ferrari or RR does not make one a better person. Maybe more fortunate or lucky... not that LUCK has very much to do with success most of the time anyway.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2009

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
I understand the build quality of Morris and have nothing against the boats, or the people who own them. They are beautiful boats, and if you have the $$$ to own one, then by all means get one. It doesn't make you better or worse of a person. And if I have the cash for one of their boats one day, I would absolutely love to own one.

My "stupidity" reference was not directed at Morris or their boats. It was about the quote in the article. My problem with the article was that it said "can still keep people on the water," which implies you have to own a Morris or similar boat to go sailing. If it had said it was more affordable than other boats in the Morris line, and allow more people to be Morris owners that would have been fine.
Old 01-29-2009

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I also noticed that J-boats has introduced the J-95. Not as pretty as the Morris, but possibly a contender in that size. Has anyone seen a pricetag on the J?
Old 01-30-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael201 View Post
I've not been involved in the sailing community/market very long. 5 years to be exact. It's been long enough to know that talking about a Morris would be the same as talking about a RR or other high quality built expensive fine automobiles.

Sailing a Morris, Oyster or such type or driving a Ferrari or RR does not make one a better person. Maybe more fortunate or lucky... not that LUCK has very much to do with success most of the time anyway.
Good luck.
Success is not measured by material possesions either...there are other ways to measure success.
As for LUCK it is the only thing that will get me into a Morris because I am just a poor working stiff. If/when I win the Lotto, a Morris 42 will be in my sights. Morris is a fine yacht, I have been on them during BoatShows and drooled over the thought of owning one, I'll take the RR as an added bonus too. It will not change me as a person, I'll just feel a bit more proud to sail a Morris over my Macgregor.
The Morris 29 is likely targeted at the wealthiest families, something for the kids to learn on. even if I won 185K I would not choose the 29 when there are other options to consider. It is just a rich kids toy. Nice toy though!