Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009

freddyray is on a distinguished road
adding a berth

I have this small 17 ft day sailer with a quasy cabin up front. this spring I want to add a hatch to the foredeck for fore to aft ventitlation and also put a floor in the quasy cabin so I can overnight in their in lieu of a boom tent. My idea is to create a frame inside where I can screw down plywood for the floor. I would make storage spaces under the floor also. I don't want to glass in the floor as I want to be able to readily pull it up for any maintenance that may be need under it. I would like some ideas on constructing the framing. I was thinking of a beam going fore and aft with one end attaching to the mast anchor and the other glassed in to the stern point. them go off to the sides fore and aft with lateral beams. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
I'm sure it not the answer you want, but it sounds to me like its time to trade up to a little weekender.
Old 03-21-2009

be happy to but storage is an issue. where I live I have to be able to keep it out of site. For now this will do
Old 03-21-2009
Sea Dweeb

RanAweigh is on a distinguished road
Think carefully about what you want to do. If you make storage spaces under the foredeck you may be tempted to store stuff there. After you store stuff there you will be tempted to store more stuff there as well. Be VERY mindful of what the impact on the longitudinal center of gravity will be. If your not careful you could make a fun little day sailor the boat from hell
Old 03-21-2009

I am just looking to get the first aid kit and such stowed. The storage will be minimal. Primarily beside the occasional overnight I want to make some use of wasted space.
Old 03-21-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Google "duckboards." Relatively cheap and easy to make. Also google "tick stick" to make a tool to figure out the contours of your fo'c'sle, so that your duckboards will fit. You can do it in a weekend, for less than $100, and spend the rest of the summer camp-cruising. Post your results in the "low-buck projects" thread.

Last edited by bljones; 03-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Buy a Siren. Your plans for your current boat will probably weaken the hull to the point of making the craft unsafe.

sirenowners : Siren Owners
Old 03-23-2009

how is it going to weaken the hull? I am not cutting the hull except to put a hatch in front
Old 03-23-2009
Sea Dweeb

RanAweigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyray View Post
how is it going to weaken the hull? I am not cutting the hull except to put a hatch in front
Are you really planning to cut a "hatch" in the foredeck? Or is your objective to get air flow through your "cutty"? Solar powered vent may not effect the vessel too much but a hatch could. The deck does add structure to the forward part of your boat. Imagine how the gunnels would flex about if there were no foredeck at all. Cutting a sizable hole will although will have a lesser effect it will have some. It could weaken the boat.

I realize that you have an image of "cruising", overnights in exotic locales. That's all good and a fine dream. But perhaps if you do add a little storage space and a little air through the accommodation space the boom tent isn't so bad.
Old 03-24-2009

How big a hatch are you imagining? I am not looking to cruise overnight in exotic locales. The space up front is wasted as in having no floor anything I put up there just find's it way to the bottom of the boat in a jumble. A floor with storage and some ventilation is more what I am after. I am not looking to make a cabin boat out of it.