Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
Centerboard and "full keel" on the same sailboat - why?

Why on a full keel sailboat, like a 1983 Island Packet MKII for example, would there need to be a retractable centerboard? I though retractable centerboards and full keels were mutually exclusive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Northbeach
Seattle Washington
1973 Cal T/4 Hull #53
24' fibergalss - 8hp 2cycle Evinrude outboard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many boats have a centerboard in order to help the boat point higher, while the full keel allows it to have a relatively shoal draft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Ditto;
Pointing ability.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-31-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Correct. Nothing mutually exclusive about it, really. It was actually a fairly common arrangement in past decades, and is still used today on some boats. Many builders beyond I.P. have used it, Hinckley, Bristol, Allied, to name a few.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-01-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
I have such arrangement on my boat, I love all aspects of it, except centerboard trunk. I can live with a trunk, it makes a table.
Very shallow draft. Low wetted surface for downwind sailing. Good upwind performance. Good tracking.
If you bump a bottom, - just raise the board and you are free.
I can beach the boat for maintenance. Hull is shallow enough that razing water floats it without flooding.

IMHO, it is ideal combination for shallow waters, read, all east coast and Caribbeans.

CR
Freedom 28 Cat Ketch
Old 04-01-2009

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all for the replies. Another misconseption I had has been cleared up.

Northbeach
Seattle Washington
1973 Cal T/4 Hull #53
24' fibergalss - 8hp 2cycle Evinrude outboard
Old 04-06-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Would adding leeboards help my islander bahama 24 point higher, then? I have a full keel too, but no centerboard.
Old 04-06-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I have to agree with CrazyRu and others that a centerboard on a 'full keel' sailboat is generally a good thing as it does help in pointing ability and other downwind performance issues. What you are calling 'full keel' is more likely a full keel with a cutaway forefoot. 'Full keel' means that there is a full keel from bow to stern.
If your boat is like my Tartan 27' from 1969 which has a centerboard then you should use it. I can basically get our boat to steer itself on some points of wind by adjusting the centerboard angle.

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
facabrut (02-23-2014)
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Caleb—

Most boats that are called full keel designs have a cutaway forefoot. Generally, IIRC, a full keel design has a keel that is over 50% of the boat's LWL.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2009

Scoopy is on a distinguished road
One additional advantage to having a centerboard that pivots down and out of the keel: it moves the center of resistance aft, particularly if the board is about half way out of the centerboard slot. This helps a little if the boat has too much weather helm sailing with the board up.

I have a Creekmore 37 with a "full" keel and a centerboard. The length of the board that is exposed below the keel is 59 inches when the board is down. The board is 22 inches wide. It weighs about 95 lbs so it is not significant in terms of ballast. The centerboard slot is below the main cabin floor.

See exchanges about Creekmore sailboats in the "Living Aboard" Forum.

Scoopy