SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stability simplified

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ericb 
#1 ·
Years ago, I often gave a lecture to S.E.A. students and other groups that was intended to provide an understanding of basic stability concepts with a minimum of math. It was quite popular at the time so I recently put together a web version of it. It's still a first draft and I haven't yet linked it from my web site since I plan to work on it some more, probably next winter at this point. I've provided the link to a couple of forums and groups though as the feedback and comment I've gotten have led to some useful clarifications and improvements.

I still can't post links so put the standard http thingy with the colon, two slashes, and three w's in front of rogerlongboats.com and then "/Stability.htm".

#2 · (Edited)
Wow

That is very well done over all - although there is a typo in the line "In addition to spending nearly four decades tying (successfully) to insure..."

As I stated in my first post I designed a couple dozen power boats (sailboat market had just gone splat) in the 1980s. I still follow and am interested in yacht design. I am also unfortunately still looking forward to my purchase of that first larger sailboat.

After 35 years of voraciously reading everything I can get my hands on regarding yacht design I have never heard CG and especially buoyancy explained like that. I will have to go back and re-read them again as I think my old fart of a brain is having trouble wrapping itself around it.

The best I can come up with is a quote from a TV character who shall remain nameless "A difference that makes no difference - is no difference!"

In any case thanks for the good work...

#3 ·
welcome aboard Roger. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.