Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009

stefanowitsch is on a distinguished road
Racing hull without mast

I need some advice, please. I would be able to purchase as very, very cheap 56" ex racing hull. There are few problems. It needs a new mast and a new interior set up. My crazy idea is to turn the hull into a fast cruising boat. My concerns are of the following nature:

- Without having detailed plans about the hull design, how difficult is it to balance the boat right when creating a new interior fit out?

- How does one calculate the height of the mast?

- Is it a stupid idea to turn a racing hull into a cruising boat?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Generally the hull is the cheapest part of any boat... all the fittings, interior, rig etc add up to many times that value. As such, you're not starting with a huge advantage (even assuming the hull/design is sound and usable)

There should be original drawings of the rig, though as a cruiser you may want to downsize that a bit... consulting a professional is the way to go here.

But don't for a minute think you're likely to complete such a project "cheaply" - you'll be paying full price for all your fittings, materials and accessories. On a 56 foot boat this is going to a) chew up a lot of cash, and b) take a lot of time.

Whether or not the boat itself will make a good cruiser depends on the specifics, and ultimately how the end result handles. Race boats of this size usually have considerable draft too, which can be a huge limitation depending on your cruising style and area..

Not to say it can't be done, but don't be under any illusions when you start! Good luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-07-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Another option to save some money if one or two can be found, is to find Hurricane hulks if you will, where you get a dead hull, but interior workings, and possibly deck gear too. If you're carefull with the choosing of said dead hulls, you may find a lot of the gear for cheap. Also look at local and FAR 2nd hand stores for some items too.

The if you can find the actual brand of the boat, you can figure out what rig it had, maybe shorten the mast a bit to make it more cruiser friendly as far as usage goes.

But as faster says, it may not be cheap to do this. And it may take a long time. You could be better off buying a lower priced 50'ish foot boat that sails, but needs some extensive remodeling of the interior, but most of the parts are there. IE new cushions, varnish etc done to it.

marty
Old 04-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Considering that the mast, boom, standing rigging and running rigging is generally a major portion of the price of any boat, I think doing what you'e planning on doing is going to be very, very expensive, and you won't be happy with the results. The motion and seakindliness of a racing hull is very different from that of a cruising boat, and the boat will need to have some serious compromises made to it to work as a cruising boat.

For just the cost of the materials you'd need to buy to rig the boat and finish the interior, you could probably buy a decent cruising boat that is almost ready to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
It all depends on the racing hull in question. As others have noted, the hull of the boat is only 20% to 40% of the cost of the boat. Everything else is everything else.

When you talk about an out of date racing boat, that hull can have negative value, because the costs to replace the rig and add an interior can far outstrip its overall value once carefully restored.

Now then, if you are talking about a solidly built, perhaps 8- 10 year old IMS derived design, you may actually be able to turn into a good boat worth more than you have into it, but you will have to be extremely careful about adding weight.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 04-07-2009

stefanowitsch is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for all your advice, guys. I absolutely appreciate it. It more or less confirms my fears so the project is probably dead before it started. As others said, there are better options to start with and the draft and motion of a racing hull may seriously spoil the party even further. I shall consider all this carefully.

Many, many thanks again to all who replied!
Old 04-13-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Actually, depending on the era, a racing boat may actually have a very superior motion to a cruising boat of the same displacement, and have a lot more stability as well.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.