Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Jumper Struts?

I've been away for a bit - busy with work, etc., etc. but with A-S "temporarily off-line" I thought I'd ask this question here:

A boat we're looking at upgrading into is rigged with the old-style(?) jumper-strut set-up:

Jumper Struts?-image_213.jpg

Stuff I've read is neither good nor bad - so, has anyone here got any experience this system?

Apart from requiring a haul up the mast to tweak (and exactly how do you 'tweak' it?), is there anything particularly wrong with this setup??

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2009

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Hi Hartley18. Long time no hear. Does this mean you will be changing your Sailnet name?

Sorry can't help with your question, apart that is looks more complicated than a normal rig and not being able to adjust from the deck would be a pain. What sort of boat are you looking at?

Ilenart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
My suspicion is the jumper struts don't matter much, nor need much tune if any, especially if you don't lay on the backstay adjuster.

R19s were designed with jumper struts but most racing boats have removed them striving to reduce weight and windage aloft.

Last edited by sailingfool; 08-14-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2009
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Hi Hartley18. Long time no hear. Does this mean you will be changing your Sailnet name?
Hi Ilenart!

I'm spending most of my (limited) time at Anything-Sailing nowadays - but we'll be keeping the Hartley for now. I've spent way too much money on her lately, including a new #2 just recently!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Sorry can't help with your question, apart that is looks more complicated than a normal rig and not being able to adjust from the deck would be a pain. What sort of boat are you looking at?
It's a Folkboat - and it's got everything I like: 26'-ish, wood, fractional rig..

More here: Something we're looking at.. - Anything Sailing Forums

Thanks both for your replies - I get the impression jumper struts are not something I need overly worry about.

If A-S goes down again - I'll be back!

Cheers,
Old 08-14-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I had a 1949 wooden folkboat with jumper struts. They were important for controling headstay tension, masthead sag in a breeze. In effect they transfer the aftward force of the backstay to the forestay and eliminate the need for swept back spreaders or for running backstays on early fractional riggers. The are mostly out of the way except that jumper shrouds can hit the leech of the chute when close reaching.

I found that they were pretty much a set them once and leave them affair. You typically wanted just enough tension that the mast was straight vertically and side to side with minimal backstay tension. They bascally proportionately self tension as backstay tension increases.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-14-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
My first keeler was a Bluebird, 22'er 7/8ths fractional similar to the Folkboat with the jumpers. I certainly never found the need to adjust them and yep as Jeff says they rid you of the need for runners.

They are not something that you'd need to worry yourself about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I had a 1949 wooden folkboat with jumper struts. They were important for controling headstay tension, masthead sag in a breeze. In effect they transfer the aftward force of the backstay to the forestay and eliminate the need for swept back spreaders or for running backstays on early fractional riggers. The are mostly out of the way except that jumper shrouds can hit the leech of the chute when close reaching.

I found that they were pretty much a set them once and leave them affair. You typically wanted just enough tension that the mast was straight vertically and side to side with minimal backstay tension. They bascally proportionately self tension as backstay tension increases.

Jeff

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-24-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The Pearson Triton had them. As JeffH notes, found on older fractional rigged boats.
Old 08-24-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I had a 26 foot fractional rigged boat, a Niagara 26 that originaly had swept back spreads, about 25 degrees. I could not get proper tension on the forestay unless the uppers were extremely tight all the time. I modified the rig so that the spreaders were only swept back about 5 degrees and installed jumper struts. Best move I ever made with that boat.

The jumper struts really stiffened up the top section of the mast so that the back stay adjustment worked much like a mast head rig when it came to tensioning the forestay and when it was eased for down wind the forestay was slack.

I raced and it made a huge improvement. Struts are not common any more but I liked them.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.