Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009

rosskowh is on a distinguished road
1968 morgan 30 centerboarder

i have been researching smaller less expensive boats that are considered bluewater boats, i have not seen the morgan 30 centerboarder. after comparing specifications such as displacement, capsize ratio, ballast weight, motion comfort, displacement to lwl, i wonder why??? it compares well or better than many boats suggested such as bristols, albergs, allieds, etc. i have always been told that the models before 73 were build stout, any opinios?????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
While I've never owned or been aboard one, after looking at 4 examples on Yachtworld they seem like a reasonable design for that era. Of course any boat going on 40 can have a lot of issues with maintenance, mast step, bulkheads, etc. I wouldn't pick one purely because of the longitudinal galley/dinette arrangement which I am not a fan of. But is sounds like an affordable way to get a boat for offshore use if upgraded as necessary. Rigging would probably need a redo unless done recently. Here's James Baldwin's list of good old boats with a brief description and links to owner's groups etc that might give you some other ideas. Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat No morgans are on the list but it's full of good choices.
Brian
Old 11-04-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
There's an good article on the Morgan 30 in the August '09 Practical Sailor.
Old 11-04-2009

Here's the link to a site about the restoration of a Morgan 30 centreboard (1970 model). sailboat restoration, morgan 30 foot sailboat, my hole in the water
Brian
Old 11-04-2009

rosskowh is on a distinguished road
thanks for the info, i have repaired one bulkhead- chainplate attachment as well as replacing the compression post, the rest of the boat is solid and was well maintained for 35 yrs by its second owner. the only reason i ask is that i am thinking of selling it to buy something more "bluewater", however when comparing the specs i am questioning myself as to why???? it has a heavier ballast than other boats its size, better capsize ratio, better rating on motion comfort, higher hull speed, more displacement, and overall rates well for bluewater, am i missing something?????
Old 11-04-2009

ross
There is nothing wrong with a Morgan 30 that wouldn't be wrong with an Alberg 30 or many others. The basic boat is fine if you are pleased with it. I have owned sailboats for over 40 years and if I were you I wouldn't trade what I know for something else that could have more extensive problems. The Morgan 30 is a good sailing boat from what I know, Charlie Morgan was a good sailor and designer. The key will be condition and equipment. If the basic condition is good ( as you say it is) equipment is what you need to sail offshore successfully. That doesn't necessarily mean the latest electronics, but basic sailing gear so you can reef easily and efficiently, cook in rough weather, find your position,with accuracy (gps plus spare), anchor with confidence (30 lb plow or whatever with the appropriate chain and rope rode), in a leak free hull/deck. It sounds like what you lack is confidence and that will come with experience. Go sailing, learn to reef when it gets snotty out there and your confidence in your boat will build. A lot of sailors have cruised far and wide with lesser boats. Every day isn't a survival type of day. The trick is to be the best prepared you can be for that day, and it may never come. While I am not sure where you wish to go, watch the seasons and weather and you'll do ok. Most sailing is done in relatively good weather, but the books are better when storms and survival are paramount. Proper weather and route planning can make all the difference. Hope this helps.
Brian
Old 11-19-2009

Jasper Windvane is on a distinguished road
Looking at this posting, and then the restoration page posted by an owner, I got thinking .. If it were me, remember now; just my opinion .. I would have painted the hull with one part paint, not worried a hoot what it looked like. I would sand and fix the cracks, chips, digs, holes on deck, and again use a one part paint .. little roll/brush/done. Move on. Then? Take care of the rigging, sails, etc. The engine? I can't say. But the work put into the cosmetics of a boat that was FREE makes not sense to me .. please remember, this is just my opinion.. I respect your thinking also. I figure, do the basics and go sailing. Somehow, I wonder, how did Joshua Slocum get all around the world without an awlgripped paint job? Maybe he just slapped on some old house paint and went sailing.
Old 12-03-2009

cinboat is on a distinguished road
Smile morgan 30

in answer to rosskowh. the morgan 30 is indeed a very seaworthy vessel which sails with most cruising boats in the 40 foot range. my morgan 30 has undergo many restorations over the 40 years I have owned her. rigging and general maintainace are part of owning an older boat, that considered you can take her anywhere. good luck also look at morgan 30 my hole in the water he has gone to the extreme on resto but it should last him a long time.