SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailboat Design and Construction (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/)
-   -   So, you are standing in the salon, and .. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/60063-so-you-standing-salon.html)

Jasper Windvane 11-24-2009 07:23 AM

So, you are standing in the salon, and ..

Ok, you are the new owner of a 32' sailboat. The boat is very basic. As you enter the salon, or main cabin, there is a berth to port, and a berth to starboard. The galley, a very small little space is to starboard as you enter. To port is a counter with an ice box under. There is storage port, starboard, with access above the berths. The head area is forward to port, not very large, hardly any storage. The hanging locker, or useless locker, is to starboard.. V berth forward..

What, if you could, would you change? Cabinets? Book shelves? Storage ideas? Take out doors? Change the hanging locker? ?? Any ideas? Oh, and
try to keep it simple. Not "rip the whole boat apart" expensive, just simple.

JohnRPollard 11-24-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper Windvane (Post 544998)
Ok, you are the new owner of a 32' sailboat. The boat is very basic. As you enter the salon, or main cabin, there is a berth to port, and a berth to starboard. The galley, a very small little space is to starboard as you enter. To port is a counter with an ice box under. There is storage port, starboard, with access above the berths. The head area is forward to port, not very large, hardly any storage. The hanging locker, or useless locker, is to starboard.. V berth forward..

What, if you could, would you change? Cabinets? Book shelves? Storage ideas? Take out doors? Change the hanging locker? ?? Any ideas? Oh, and
try to keep it simple. Not "rip the whole boat apart" expensive, just simple.

Hard to visualize...have any photos?

In a boat that size, I prefer an aft head. But that would fall into the category of "rip the whole boat apart"?:)

If privacy isn't critical, sometimes removing cabin doors will open it up.

Jasper Windvane 11-24-2009 08:19 AM

Cabin doors? That was one of my first thoughts, as well. There is a door to the head area, useless. The door sticks, very cheaply made. There is sliding wood to the shelf storage pockets above the berths. The sliding wood? Cheap, does not work very well.. I got thinking, take the sliders out, install netting.
The whole starboard berth is useless space, I sail alone. But I do not want to rip the boat apart either. The galley is a joke. With so little space, making a little change is a big undertaking. The ceiling/overhead of the main cabin is a liner. I've thought of attachments but the liner is weak.
Taking doors out ?? Good start..

JohnRPollard 11-24-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper Windvane (Post 545013)

Just don't throw them away! The next owner may want them desperately.

CLucas 11-24-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper Windvane (Post 545013)
Cabin doors? That was one of my first thoughts, as well. There is a door to the head area, useless. The door sticks, very cheaply made. There is sliding wood to the shelf storage pockets above the berths. The sliding wood? Cheap, does not work very well.. I got thinking, take the sliders out, install netting.
The whole starboard berth is useless space, I sail alone. But I do not want to rip the boat apart either. The galley is a joke. With so little space, making a little change is a big undertaking. The ceiling/overhead of the main cabin is a liner. I've thought of attachments but the liner is weak.

You could replace the door to the head area with a curtain on a pressure rod. For the sliders, I replaced mine last winter with nice smoked acrylic panels with a finger hole. A bit more work, but you could also replace them with panels that use a woven rattan (sp?) section mounted in a frame. I saw someone who added a triangular storage shelf in the bow of the vberth -- perfect for towels, linens, etc. and high enough so that it won't interfere with someone sleeping there. The same person added a similar shelf in a quarterberth.

CharlieCobra 11-24-2009 11:31 AM

Here are the semifinal proposed changes for Oh Joy. The image contains before and after drawings as well as Port and Starboard elevations.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...inalLayout.jpg

Maybe that will give ya some ideas.

mitiempo 11-24-2009 01:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Jasper
I removed the head door on my boat - same issue as you have - how to improve storage and usefullness for one person. Curtains work great. I removed the sink in the head to add more storage space as 2 sinks 8' apart make no sense to me. My CS27 is designed to seat 6 at a table - I don't think I ever will and if I do they can eat off their laps. I have made the table smaller fore and aft and will probable remove one leaf (the one that opens in the passageway forward. On my boat I changed the galley by replacing the alcohol 2 burner with a propane 3 burner/oven stove and moved the sink inboard closer to the companionway so it will be easier to use and when I haul I will move the seacock farther inboard so it will drain on both tacks. The hanging locker opposite the head will be converted to better storage with shelves. It currently has a door that alternatively closes the hanging locker or the v-berth off. I will replace this door with a curtain for the v-berth and maybe zipped canvas for the locker. Above the settees in the main cabin to starboard there are three teak lockers. This will be changed to a locker at either end and bookshelves in between. The engine access was a large angled fibreglass affair with teak steps in molded recesses. When accessing the engine you had to find somewhere to put it and if it was a bit rough at the time it was dangerous. I made it more vertical and added a small removeable 2 step ladder with storage under each step. The engine access door is now on lift off hinges and for normal access there is nothing loose - but just lift it and it comes right off. Because my engine is fairly low (horizontal 1 cyl Yanmar) I had room above it to buils in a removeable toolbox. I am adding some pics - first a pic of a Hinckley pilot I got some ideas from. Second is a pic of a Morris I patterned most of the galley after. Third and fourth are pics of my boat when it was in progress. The bare wood is now white laminate like the Morris.And a link to a Nicholson modified by James Baldwin I got some ideas from. I found the best ideas came from cruising Yachtworld and looking at interiors.
Atom Voyages | Nicholson 31 Refit scroll down and look at the interior pics
Brian
ps - What kind of boat are you thinking of buying? Bet it doesn't have an Atomic 4:D

sailingdog 11-25-2009 08:25 AM

This just shows how insane you are...;) I have been following your re-fit, which is actually more a re-build, of Oh Joy.... and the amount of work you've taken on is astounding, as is the quality of the work you've done thus far.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra (Post 545068)
Here are the semifinal proposed changes for Oh Joy. The image contains before and after drawings as well as Port and Starboard elevations.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...inalLayout.jpg

Maybe that will give ya some ideas.

nuffoftexas 11-25-2009 09:03 AM

I would put a nav/radio station at the forward end of that starboard bunk.

zz4gta 11-25-2009 09:28 AM

Wait? You can stand in your salon? Lucky :(