SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wood choice, for backing support, question ??

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  tommays 
#1 ·
I am looking over a head compartment rehab. The owner/seller messed up, did not know what he was doing, and quit. What a mess..
Rather than spend a huge amount of money, I got thinking ??? as I like to do.
Put a patch over, use ply. But then I wondered ?? What type of wood is
appropriate as a stud, or backing, for finish ply in a head area? Of course, at home, I'd run down to HD, or Lowes, pick up a couple of 2/4 x 8's,, cut/nail, then the finish ply would be screwed up nailed to the studs.. Must the stud, or support wood inside a sailboat be a hard hard wood? Can you use a softer, easier to work with wood, stud, which can be purchased at Home Depot?

Wood .. cut me some wood.. of slack.. or slack wood.. but don't slack off.

#2 ·
Something rot-resistant like red cedar or cypress might work well to provide structural support without being as heavy as a hardwood. Try looking for outdoor decking materials. Pine or "hem-fir" studs would be a rot magnet in my book. Red or White Oak would work, and might allow smaller sections to be used, but they're not actually that rot-resistant. Oak keel parts were frequently painted before being put together in order to forestall rot. If you can't find cedar decking boards, (and even if you can) painting all faces prior to assembly would probably be a good idea.

#4 ·
I'd just use clear Douglas fir and saturate it with epoxy on all sides prior to installation for the structural part. There are all kinds of marine ply with different veneers available to match what is in the rest of the boat.

#6 · (Edited)

Jasper will have to trade notes as i can assure you marine wood when wet FAILED :)

Most PT lumber is way to wet and would take months of drying things like IPE for decks is not that costly super strong and lives outside in the rain without issue

PlyDek XL™ Plywood Panels is used on deck boats it is a plain finish but marine grade and a fair price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.