Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Ok, wow, now for the application question.

I'm looking at making a "mothership" rig to use to bring my kayak out to the (California Channel) Islands. the idea was to start with the clc sailrig ( Kayak & Canoe Sailing Rig: Ultra-Light, Easy to Assemble and Launch! ) or at least the ama's, except I'd really like to create a vessel which I could

a.) reef or drop sail
b.) detach the kayak from the rig while at sea, if I decided to anchor it somewhere where there wasn't a convenient beach, so I could paddle around.
c.) where the entire rig, including kayak is still cartopable
and of course, having a boat that I'll be building, play with weird sail designs and other ideas, just to see what works.

To make this as unburdonsome to the kayak as possible, I'm hoping to run all lines down the aka's, and basically give myself a control console. it's got a 10' beam, so I think it's wide enough to give me the clear channel I need. I'm also pondering if reefing is necessary, or if I could just use windsurfer sails and masts (with a mast step to hold them upright) and just turn them out of the wind to varying degrees to cut the effect of the wind.

This year it's just brainstorming, as I've not finished the kayak yet, let alone started on the ama's, but I thought it was an interesting design idea, and one which might be applicable for such a craft.

Thanks for all the info

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
You could still have a mother ship with onlt one mast. Just mount the mast step on one of the amas.

Or, you could modify a beach cat to be your mother ship.
________
DivineSmile cam

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I paddled a Feathercraft in Baja twice and some days wished for a sail. Here are a few examples. The one I like is the first on the Nautiraid. But the second one looks cool.
Attached Thumbnails
parallel sails?-sailing-kayak-45526.jpg   parallel sails?-gallery_19_hr.jpg   parallel sails?-spinnaker-243.jpg  

Last edited by mitiempo; 01-15-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-15-2010

jbarros is on a distinguished road
There are a number of awesome kayak sails, (your awesomeness may vary) I'm looking to minimize my impact on the kayak itself, which eliminates most of them, and I'd like it to sail well, even upwind, which eliminates all the rest.

What I was looking at with the clc kit was similar to modifying a beach cat, perhaps just taking one of those apart would be the hot tip, although I'm curious about how much work it would take to cartop one.

Thanks.

-- James
Old 01-15-2010

I see. You don't want to paddle at all.
Old 01-15-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
You will probably not be able to cartop a beach cat. I used to tow my Hobie 16 with a VW Passat. The boat was wider than my car. They are also unwiedly to move around solo when not in the water.
________
Volcano Vaporizer

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2010

If the amas are removeable it should be possible. That would leave you with a kayak and two smaller hulls. And a mast.
Old 01-15-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
tager: I looked up DDWFTTW and it looks like they're not sailing. i.e. they are propelled neither by an air drag force (downwind sailing) nor by lift forces (upwind sailing). Instead they have an air turbine powering either wheels (for land vehicles) or a propeller.

I'm think it's impossible to sail dead downwind faster than the wind, which means that going DDW in a trifoiler you're not close hauled, which means that your argument - that there should be some angle at which the apparent wind is abeam - still holds.
Old 01-15-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
I'm think it's impossible to sail dead downwind faster than the wind, which means that going DDW in a trifoiler you're not close hauled, which means that your argument - that there should be some angle at which the apparent wind is abeam - still holds.
This is essentially correct. It also describes the interesting shape of the sail polar diagram of these really fast boats.

When sailing dead downwind, you are using the drag of the sails in the air and no lift is being generated (I am ignoring unstayed masts where the sails can be let out further than perpendicular). Therefore, even with infinite drag (roughly proportional to sail area), you still can't outrun the wind. On other points of sail, you use lift rather than drag which allows you to sail faster than the true wind speed. In addition, since you are not pointing in the same direction as the wind, the apparent wind moves forward which explains why the boats always seem to be close hauled. Since these boats are so fast broad reaching, they will tack downwind because it is much faster than running. To see why this is the case given the polar diagram, take a ruler and hold it perpendicular to the true wind direction and slide it in towards the center until you hit the line. On these fast boats, you will hit two points first for going with the wind which correspond to broad reaching on each tack.
Old 01-15-2010

That's right. They start broad reaching and as they pick up speed the apparent wind moves forward of the beam. The tri-foilers move through this stage quickly. The faster they go the more close hauled they are. They tack downwind and even though they cover a greater distance their vmg is better. The tri-foilers in the video never slow down enough for the apparent wind to come aft even when changing direction as they lose very little speed.