Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Converting a yawl to a sloop?

Hello Sailnet,
In my search for my next sailboat, I have seen a few yawls which have caught my eye for various reasons. Most seem to be affordable, but needing some work which I'm quite prepared to do. However, (please forgive me) I think I prefer the simplicity, maintanence & performance of a sloop.

My question is, can a yawl simply be converted into a sloop by removing the mizzen mast and associated rigging? Is the existing main mast sufficiently tall enough to provide the necessary luff length to power the vessel??

Is this a bad idea? Look forward to hear from you. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Why on earth would you do that? The yawl rig is a great rig and more versatile than a sloop. No, the main wouldn't be of the necessary dimensions to power the boat properly. The aspect ratio is shorter and the boom also shorter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I agree for the most part with Charlie. My suggestion would be to sail the yawl for awhile before tampering with the rig. You might find that your concerns are unfounded and/or not sufficient to warrant altering the rig.

That said, it depends somewhat on the rig configuration. I'm aware of some designs where folks got rid of the mizzen and it really didn't make a lick of difference. Particularly with the yawl rigs, sometimes the mizzen really amounts to no more than a scrap of sail are. And the mainsails of some yawls are no differently sized or stepped than the mainsails of their sloop versions. In other instances, there can be issue such as Charlie mentioned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-11-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yawls can be very extreme in the minimal sail area available in the mizzen, and I believe that in many cases they are frequently sailed as sloops anyway. I suspect in most cases you'd get away with what you propose.

You would lose the potential balancing effect, esp off the wind, that the yawl rig is known for but the severity of that loss will depend on other factors of design and rig proportions.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-11-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Red face more info

To add more information, there are two vessels in question.
The Alberg 37 and the Hinckley B-40
I believe both yachts were available as yawls and sloops, so is it simply a matter of adding (or removing) the mizzen or are there other implications.
I have some answers already, so thanks for that.
It feels like heresy just typing these questions, but I have to ask.
Cheers.
Old 02-11-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
You'd need to check the sailplans on those boats.

It's possible the main mast height and therefore main/jib sailplan is smaller and/or stepped farther forward on those yawl versions. So there could be a performance penalty in terms of sail area and balance.

Or not. Hopefully we'll hear from someone who's familiar with the idiosyncrasies of those boats.

The PSC Crealock 37 was offered with an optional yawl rig. The mainmast was shorter in that version. I've read of examples of these that removed the mizzen without noticeable detriment.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-11-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Alberg 37 is one that I've seen mostly sailed as a sloop anyway.

Another thought... why not simply sail it as a sloop but leave the rig intact? One advantage would the the ability to use the mizzen as a riding sail (you could even have a dead simple flat "sail" purpose made) to keep from sailing around your anchor, and retain the possiblity of using it in heavy weather for balance.. it's also a good place for a radar and other things... and you retain the "look".. if that's not an issue.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-11-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'm with the leave the rig intact crowd.

Not sure if this would be true for a yawl but I was on a Allied Seawind 32 ketch and we found that the boat 'hove to' best with just the mizzen and partially deployed jib.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While you could remove the mizzen mast, it probably isn't a very good idea to do so. It would drastically reduce the resale value of the boat among other things... It would also probably shift the center of gravity of the boat a bit forward, since you'd be removing the mast.

As suggested previously, sailing the boat as a sloop and just ignoring the mizzen mast might be a good choice.... but it might not be all that easy to balance the sails doing this, as you'll have a bit more lee helm than if you used the mizzen. Also, in heavy weather, using the mizzen and a small storm jib is often a better way to balance the boat than using a reefed main.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Hello Sailnet,
In my search for my next sailboat, I have seen a few yawls which have caught my eye for various reasons. Most seem to be affordable, but needing some work which I'm quite prepared to do. However, (please forgive me) I think I prefer the simplicity, maintanence & performance of a sloop.

My question is, can a yawl simply be converted into a sloop by removing the mizzen mast and associated rigging? Is the existing main mast sufficiently tall enough to provide the necessary luff length to power the vessel??

Is this a bad idea? Look forward to hear from you. Thanks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-11-2010

petmac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
To add more information, there are two vessels in question.
The Alberg 37 and the Hinckley B-40
I believe both yachts were available as yawls and sloops, so is it simply a matter of adding (or removing) the mizzen or are there other implications.
I have some answers already, so thanks for that.
It feels like heresy just typing these questions, but I have to ask.
Cheers.
The B40 sloop was only available in the Mark III where the taller mainmast ( 6 1/2' higher than the Custom) was moved two feet aft to center the rig. She also had an increase in ballast (1000 lbs. more than the Custom) that gave her an extra foot on the water line and an extra two inches of draft. I own a further modified B40 sloop with yet another 4 1/2' ft added to a carbon mast and she sails very well.