Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010

elkscout is on a distinguished road
Soft spots under teak decks.

concerning boats with fiberglass decks with teak runners? on top, would one be able to feel soft spots in the fiberglass by walking on the teak portion or some other way, particularly if the teak is solid and shows no indication of rot? Would a surveyor be able to tell during his inspection? I'm mainly referring to the portion of the deck between the rail and the raised portion of the cabin that runs continously from the stern to the bow. Sorry, don't know all the terminology, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, teak decks are an issue. On most boats, the teak is fastened using screws and the screws go into the cored deck underneath. If the teak caulking isn't properly maintained, there is often (almost always in fact) a leak of water into the cored deck. This leads to a very expensive deck re-coring job. While I love the way teak decks look, I'd never buy a boat with one. They're a huge maintenance issue and have a lot of problems with core delamination of the deck underneath them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2010

Thank you SD for the reply. you affirmed my suspicions, but how can one tell if a teak deck that appears to be solid be hiding soft spots or the compromising of a core deck underneath? I'm thinking of the scenario where someone refinishes and/or replaces some partially rotted deck planks? but skips on the potentially bigger issue of repairing a saturated core and then tries to sell it. Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Just Google "teak deck leaks"

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If there is no overhead liner, you can sometimes check the underside of the deck from inside the cabin—either by tapping or by using a moisture meter. If there is an overhead liner, you're basically SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkscout View Post
Thank you SD for the reply. you affirmed my suspicions, but how can one tell if a teak deck that appears to be solid be hiding soft spots or the compromising of a core deck underneath? I'm thinking of the scenario where someone refinishes and/or replaces some partially rotted deck planks? but skips on the potentially bigger issue of repairing a saturated core and then tries to sell it. Any thoughts?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-02-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah! While shopping for boats from the Ta Shing yard I got pretty good at determining the state of those decks and what it might take to repair.

SD is IMO right, stay away from those decks unless you are up for it.

Some decks will feel soft, some will deflect when you step or jump on them, sometimes you can tell by tapping of hitting. Many will have signs of moisture. The broker will often suggest it is just condensation or minor leakage.

Also check around the portlights. These teaky boats need lots of mtce over the years. It only takes one owner to slack off. The portlights leaking make the little deck job a bigger one.

Determining the amount of leakage that has occurred over the years is very difficult. Those who claim to have done it appear more lucky than anything else as shown by the number of small deck repairs that become major projects.

But I did see some older boats, one 26yrs old, with perfect teak decks, no leakage, rock solid cores, well kept and maintained. Do not buy those boats!

Those boats sell for more than the other boats with obvious problems yet they really are not much better. To keep them in that shape you too will also have to store them inside, do regular maintenance, and not use them much.

All meaning extra time, money and labour for less use. If you slack off, then you too have a teaky that you insist is perfect but will have moisture problems preventing the resale.

IMO If you want teak decks buy a boat that does not have teak on it. Then go out buy the strips of teak and screw them down yourself. Properly installed, sealing every screw hole (there will be about 1,000) with epoxy or sealant, the deck should last a long time, at least as long as you own the boat. Of course when you sell, you’ll be trying to sell a teaky.

I think they are worth it if you are willing to pay and accept the issues. Wasn’t for me, if I was that keen on a teak deck I’d buy a wooden boat.

On the other hand, I did see several boats with very soft decks that were being sailed all over the world and the owners loved them.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 03-02-2010

Architeuthis, good points.

Maybe this is a segway for another thread. With the advances of sealants and adhesives and float/semi-floating flooring (thinking home applications), what about a tongue-n-groove type teak deck with an adhesive backing, which wouldn't require being attached to the deck with fasterners, thereby eliminating leaking holes?

Sounds like an idea, though I think Jeff H or someone mentioned wood decks radiate/reflect more heat than just a fiberglass deck.

I too absolutely love the look of a stained and sealed teak deck, but I don't love it so much to want such a huge heatache. Hmmm, sounds like some women I've seen. LOL
Old 03-02-2010

Well, apparently I'm not the first to think of glueing teak planks to decks. Story of my life. I found a thread here from 2006. Sailingdog posted, as well as Jeff H. Jeff mentioned the various installation methods of installing, as well as a thorough explanation of how teak oxidizes, deteriorates, along with the pros and cons of how to maintain it. Of course, I can't find the name of the thread now, but the contributors were very informative even back then as they are now.
Old 04-19-2010

actor44 is on a distinguished road
how is cost determined for repair of teaky leakies.
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

By the square foot.. Also, depends on how much damage has been done to the underlying deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by actor44 View Post
how is cost determined for repair of teaky leakies.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.