Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010

CaptinRedBeard is on a distinguished road
Pearson 303 vs. Tartan 30 Hawaii

I plan to do much of my sailing in the Molokai Channel, which is between Oahu and Molokai in the Hawaiian Islands. Conditions on average are 8-12ft seas with wind 20-25knots and gusts in the 30 range. Conditions can be better but can also be much worse. I've been looking at purchasing either a tartan 30 or a pearson 303. My question is which is more seaworthy or which holds up better in rough conditions? Which is faster? Does one handle better than the other (up wind especially). Finally, is either one able to cross an ocean? I don't plan to be crossing oceans all the time but one or two ocean passages may be necessary to get the boat from an old place of living to a new one.

Also if anyone has any good stories about crossing the Molokai Channel, I would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks a ton!
Old 04-26-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I'd say its a tossup. Both are coastal cruisers of similar size and displacement. The Pearson is a newer design, but the Tartan may be a bit more rugged. Either can handle the conditions mentioned but it won't be comfortable. I'm not sure either would be a great choice for crossing an ocean. Time it right on a one way delivery and you might be OK, but not something I would want to do.

Last edited by JimsCAL; 04-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2010

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
For the conditions you mentioned, you will certainly want a boat that is rugged and very seaworthy, with the standing rigging in very good shape and maybe oversized. In general, I think both Tartan and Pearson built boats well enough to deserve consideration, but I really think you will want to speak with local sailors with lots of experience in those conditions before buying either boat.

One thing that the Tartan did with the 30 that is a plus in those conditions: the inboard engine is located directly above the keel, so there is more weight concentrated in the middle of the boat. Another plus: the rudder is attached to a skeg for additional strength and support.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook